Chapter 7: Do you ponder the manner of things?

Carson above

Nicolai POV

I toss around repeatedly, not being able to find a comfortable position. After what I went through today, I'm so exhausted I should have no problem falling asleep.

I watched a bit warily today when Carson gave Mattia a medical check-up.

Mattia wasn't also thrilled with that. The kid was scared as hell when he saw the stethoscope and all the needles. He was clinging to me so firmly that I was afraid he would hurt himself. Drawing the blood was the hardest; Mattia sobbed so hysterically that Carson had to reach for his wolf.

He turned into the same wolf who carried us here, and to my surprise, I felt once more time a strange yearning to snuggle in him the same way Mattia did. He was pressing himself more and more into Carson's fur as the wolf was licking him, and that managed to doze him off and for us to take the blood. He dozed off completely, so I was allowed to return with him back into our room, and the kid has been sleeping since then. I guess he was tired. I guess it's normal, and I should do the same, yet I just can't.

The gentle knock on the door makes me sit up; I say, "Come in," despite the doors being locked from the outside, and I find it a bit funny. Carson enters the room, smiling at me.

"If you can't sleep, maybe you want to drink a beer with me on the porch. It's chilly today, but you could use some fresh air."

I nod and stand up. I'm a bit uncertain about living with Mattia alone, so Carson suggests we take him with us and let him sleep on the couch in the living room. He will be in our vison reach. As we settle on the stairs in front of the house and he gives me a beer, I find myself feeling a bit calmer than an hour ago.

"How are you? I understand what happened today might be quite a shock." Carson says.

"Well, since I found Mattia, I knew I was in deep shit; I just wasn't aware of how deep, really. So FuturaHW is doing experiments on your kind to create monsters?"

"In short, yes, in detail, it's a bit complicated. In fact, we know what they are doing; we don't know why." Carson says sadly, and I take a big sip of my beer.

"And how is Mattia? Is he healthy?"

"I think so, but Anne and I must check all his samples meticulously. For now, we don't understand the process of creating these monsters, as you said. But I'm afraid he was to be turned into one because he is an Omega."

"What's an Omega?" I ask, not understanding him a bit.

"Werewolves are born with wolves, and our wolves are ranked thanks to their physical strength and other abilities. On the top is an Alpha; next are Betas, warriors, and regular wolves, and the last are Omegas. They are the weakest in strength but have many other abilities and are a briefly 10% of our population."

"But why use them by FuturaHW? How did they find Mattia? Where are his parents?"

Carson's mood instantly seems to go down when he hears my question.

"As much as I don't like to admit it, my kind has a tendency to disregard omegas; they are often subjected to abuse. Based on what you heard from Mattia, I think the Alpha of his Pack has sold him on the black market. If, with his parents' permission, he can't go back to them if not, his parents are probably dead. We will try to find them, but I'm worried he is alone now."

"And his health?" I ask, my fists are clenched, how sick you must be to sell a child!

"We will see because we don't know what was done to him."