Chapter 18: Do we feel safe?

Tristan, Ivory's mate above

Rosie POV

I step out of the car, still holding Kathy's hand. None of us is in a good mood. After Seattle, we should have gone directly to Alaska, but instead, we returned to Black Moon. Both Kathy and I need to spend some time with each other, as well as with Sonya and Hank.

After Liam, I was honestly terrified I would never see them again. Tiptoeing around each other, we spent two weeks in the Black Moon. Everybody gave us space, which Kathy and I needed. And although I wouldn't say I liked it, I didn't manage to go with Kathy to bed again—not because of Liam, but because of Zoya.

Now, when Zoya and I realized we had found our true mate, nothing would be the same. Zoya yearns for Liam; she misses him and wants to be close to him, but strangely, at the same time, she wants to be closer to our chosen mate. She let me have sex with Kathy after finding Liam, but the guilt I felt from her was so enormous that I fear to try again. I'm sure Zoya will always love Kathy and Brianna, but at the same time, she will choose Liam when faced with a decision that actually breaks my heart.

Maybe that's why, despite refusing sex, I still seek physical contact with Kathy all the time because when I have, I don't feel Liam so strong. We are miles away from each other, and yet I can feel his eyes on me all the time; I haven't shifted since I recognized him because I'm genuinely horrified that the moment I do that, Zoya would take over and run to look for him and I won't be able to stop her.

And what I fear the most is that I will not want to stop her because the pull towards Liam is strong. Although I know I love Kathy wholeheartedly, I can't ignore the mating bond. If I don't perform rejection, I will crumble under its influence sooner or later. I won't be able to stay away from Liam.

Kathy is patient with me. I know that for her, nothing has changed. She loves me and will fight for me. But how can she win the battle when her enemy may be my wolf and my body?

Only my parents and my sister know about Liam. I know that Tonya was watching me like a hawk all the time Kathy and I were in Black Moon. From time to time, I caught her eyes on me, and it made me scared. I'm a Spirit Cather, so I sense and feel more than other werewolves. But Tonya has silver melted into her body, and she has enormous strength and the blood of Alpha. Just like me, she is a singularity, and after she reconnected herself and her wolf, I know that her silver eyes see much more than normal eyes. And I'm sure she saw something in those two weeks that I'm still unaware of.

Jake glances at me as we slowly enter the house and the dining room. James awaits us alongside Anne, Ivory, Tristan, and Carson. Ivory and Terry are not here; they are probably doing something important elsewhere.

They still don't know what happened, and even Jake may have only some suspicions, and I hope to keep it that way as long as possible.

We exchange hugs and greetings, and then James asks all of us to sit.

"The Trio is not here because they are dealing with something, but if they manage to pull it up, we will probably have any necessary information to infiltrate the Nenana facility. Rosie, I know you are tired, but I hope you can check Mattia's memories today and give us as much intel as possible."

I nod, and Kathy asks for more information. Thanks to Nicolai, James presents us with the map of the ground part of the facility he managed to make.

"Unfortunately, Nicolai has never been underground, so we have no idea what exactly we can encounter there. But when we watched Nenana, we estimated the staff there to be around 40 persons, but we have no idea how many of them are werewolves or former werewolves." James states, and Kathy nods.