Chapter 10: When I watch the world burn all I can think about is you

Ivory above

Nicolai POV

Bending my legs, I'm ready to take Ivory's wolf form ahead. During the last few days, her father has pointed me to many ways to fight werewolves in their wolf form, and Ivory has seemed okay with helping me train.

She charges, and I'm ready to avoid her because the best thing you can do when you are alone, and the werewolf charges at you, is to prevent—or at least that is what Terry has said.

We've been here a week, we... I mean Mattia and I, and finally, I must admit I started to trust those around me. There is no unnecessary bullshit; no one is sugarcoating me, promising easy victory, and so on. Cold facts I get from them, but at the same time, I have an opportunity to observe and although this is a war camp, they like each other. They believe in what they are about to do and understand why.

Terry is professional and focused on his job, but he loves his daughter very much, which shows in their everyday reaction. Ivory is cautious and calm; she is very young, but this toughness comes from her; she will not accept anybody's shit. Her wolf is huge, thanks to the Alpha's blood she has, as I was told, just like James' wolf.

She and Tristan have been in love since they found each other because, as I was told, they are real mates. Whatever it was supposed to be? I didn't understand that point about being destined to love someone created only for you.

James is calm and more like a clerk; he spends lots of time in the office dealing with calls, papers, and other things, unlike Ivory, who is in charge of training and works mainly in the field. He seems to be doing lots of work from the back. I probably spend much time in his company because everybody else is busy with something. During the last week, I was only allowed to train with Ivory and Terry for three hours a day, of course, if they have time to train me, and besides that, I'm expected to sit quietly inside the house. They gave me lots of freedom but don't trust me fully yet, and I'm not surprised.

So I usually sit with James and Mattia in his office. He handles the supply, contacts the other teams, and asks me questions about the Nenana facility. Thanks to me, they have a perfect plan for overground buildings, unfortunately not underground since I've never been there.

Mattia seems better, in health at least. He is no longer so pale, his bruises are slowly disappearing, and he tolerates Carson around him and his medical test, although he still feels unhappy when it's happening.

I've avoided being hurt by Ivory's wolf for another ten minutes, which is an absolute record for me. The first time we trained, I lasted three minutes, but I still ended up lying on my back with her pressing me to the ground with her two paws.

She gets off and shifts, and I turn away. One thing I find challenging to accept is that they like walking naked around a lot. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.

"You are not that bad," she says, pulling on a lousy T-shirt. It's cold as hell, yet werewolves are not bothered by the temperature. That ability of theirs makes me somewhat jealous, especially at this time of year.

"Years of practicing, I guess. I trained a lot."

"Like all of us, it helps us stay focused, especially if you are an Alpha wolf."

"What do you mean?"

"Alphas are the strongest but also the most aggressive among our kind. Our wolves have a high level of aggression. By training, long runs, and lots of sex, we can keep our wolves calm, and that is needed."

"All of you?"

"Well, Trist and I are a match made in Heaven because Trist also is a blood of the Alpha. I find it funny; both our sperm donors were jerks, both Alphas, we both were adopted, and we've been best friends before we even found each other."