19: To Fall In Love With You

A/N: You're going to want to take a second to prepare yourselves for this chapter.

Oh, and if you know the song, ignore the fact that it's supposed to be somewhat sad. This chapter is not sad; I just wanted a big dramatic song like this. You'll see why.

Buckle your seatbelts, everyone—I'll see you on the other side.

NPOV

Track: So This Is How It Feels, d4vd & Laufey

I can't believe he turned me down out of respect to my alter ego. For a moment, I was ready to tell him. I was ready to say, "Well, I have great news for you! The person you're trying to stay loyal to...is also me! Surprise! So kiss me, and we'll have a laugh about all of this."

But the more realistic side of me knows that it would go more like revealing my identity, probably getting slapped for lying to him, and then having to break into Underworld Ores on my own because he's too angry to help me. I don't want him to be mad at me. I know I should come clean now that he's literally saved my life, but there's so much on the line. If he gets angry or decides to ignore me, I lose my sister.

I'll tell him the moment Hazel is safe. I'll tear off my mask and say, "Will, I'm the Ghost King. My name is Nico di Angelo. I understand if you're angry with me—I'll give you as much time and space as you need to process this, and I'm really sorry for lying to you."

With luck, he'll forgive me. But if the worst case scenario does happen and he is mad, Hazel won't be trapped and helpless because of my selfish stupidity.

But that doesn't mean I can't do something about the way my heart beats out of my chest every time I look at him.

I told him last night to meet me again tonight. My excuse was that we would go to Underworld Ores together to scout out the area. After there were so many murders, there will probably be police presence on site for at least the first few days. There's so much evidence to look at—I mean, the place is huge—that this won't be a quick investigation.

My plan involves minimal scouting and maximal flirting. The only flaw in my plan was that this will be his first kiss—I did not know that. There's extra pressure when it's someone's first kiss. I mean, I have to get it right—make it romantic. He'll remember this for the rest of his life. If I mess it up, I'll never forgive myself.

He shows up at my doorstep at midnight, and I'm already in my suit, ready to go.

"Be safe," my mother calls. She's sitting on the couch reading—I think she could tell I was extra anxious today, so she was interrogating me to make sure I wasn't going somewhere that would kill me. She made me admit that I was taking Sunburst somewhere just for fun, or else she wasn't going to let me leave the house. I think she figured if I can come home some days battered and bruised and not be nervous, then my anxiety seemed a sure sign that I was going to die tonight.

Luckily, I'm pretty confident that's not the case.

"I will, Mamma," I tell her, smiling. "Te amo!"

"Te amo," she replies.

I shut the door behind me and join Will on the porch. He's wearing the ninja costume again. Rumors have started going around that I killed Sunburst—which is good because it means no one has figured out yet that Sunburst has actually joined the dark side and all that. We take off, holding hands while we fly. The air is cold and crisp, and when we fly quickly through clouds, the chill almost bites. I don't mind it.

We circle Underworld Ores for a minute to make sure there are no police officers actively searching the area right now. (It would be awkward if a police officer's flashlight interrupts our first kiss.) It looks like most of the officers have gone home, but the entire area is under lockdown, and there are a few officers left for security at all the entrances. Not getting in today, then. That's alright; I had assumed we would have to wait a few days before going back.