36: This Is How Villains Are Made

A/N: Note: This chapter is really only necessary to read if you still have questions about the logistics of what Hermes did, what Naomi did, etc. If you're just interested in the Solangelo elements of this story, you can probably skip this chapter and be fine. I just wanted to have a chapter that explains everything the villains did, in case it was unclear. Plus it's in police interview format, so I think that's fun!

Track: How Villains Are Made, Madalen Duke

The following are documents from the police investigation of Naomi Solace, Hermes Stoll, and related parties. Audio files have been recorded. These transcripts are for record-keeping purposes only. Officer Ryan Schmidt conducted the interviews, assisted by his partner Officer Alicia Key. The victims' attorneys were also present in the room during the questioning. Any required consent forms are included in the later pages of the report.

TRANSCRIPT #1: Hermes Stoll Confession

SCHMIDT: It is presently 14:32 on September 27, 20XX. Officer Ryan Schmidt along with Officer Alicia Key are currently at the New York City Police Department to interview Hermes Stoll for case number 20XX-648. Hermes, I want to go ahead and get some basic information down here. Could you tell me if the address on this page is correct? And that your name is spelled correctly?

STOLL: Yes, that's my address. And my name is spelled correctly.

SCHMIDT: Alright. Let's start with your background, then. What do you do for a living?

SCHMIDT: Hello? Did you hear me?

STOLL: I heard you. Do I have to answer that question?

ATTORNEY: No, you don't—but we had discussed your options. Do you remember what conclusion we came to?

STOLL: ...Yes. I remember.

ATTORNEY: So it's in your best interest to answer the question, at least this time.

STOLL: ...Alright. I lead an unofficial organization that takes in kids who weren't wanted by their parents. Kids who end up on the street. And, you know, sometimes they bring me money because we're very close, but it's just a gift. Nothing illegal.

SCHMIDT: How many children?

STOLL: I don't know. A couple dozen? They go in and out.

SCHMIDT: And you said the money trail we found was nothing more than gifts? I have a hard time believing you made hundreds of thousands of dollars from gifts from orphaned children.

STOLL: Listen, I don't know where they get the money, but it's not illegal to accept a gift, is it?

ATTORNEY: No, it's not.

SCHMIDT: Hermes, could you provide me the names of any of the children that you've taken in?

STOLL: ...You know, I don't think I can remember right now.

SCHMIDT: That's okay. I have evidence that Hazel di Angelo was one of the children that gave you...gifts. Do you recognize that name?

STOLL: Maybe. Maybe not.

SCHMIDT: Hazel di Angelo was kidnapped as a child. Are you aware the charges you're facing are for more than petty theft and selling illegal drugs? These are serious charges, Mr. Stoll, and the only way you'll ever see anything good come out of any of this is by being honest. Do you recognize the name Hazel di Angelo?