chapter 8

The days flew by faster than I wanted. Today's a Saturday, and instead of resting and rotting in our beds all day, my brother and I were forced to be hospitable to our relatives who gave us a surprise visit.

I sometimes feel left out even in my own family. Does everybody feel that way? I watched as our relatives circled around Sungchan, asking him about his football career or if he's going pro, since athletes in our country are basically treated like gods, and are even more famous than celebrities.

My dad's side of the family decided to visit us out of nowhere since they're also staying here for a few days in Seoul. Unfortunately, they visited right when our parents aren't present. It's just me and Sungchan here right now.

"Aren't you gaining a bit of weight, Yumi? Don't eat that junk. You should eat less and exercise more," one of my Aunt's told me when she saw me getting some snacks for myself. I wanted to tell her that I haven't eaten anything yet since I've been too busy doing my projects.

I put the snack back in the container, before giving her a smile and a nod. I saw Sungchan eyeing me worriedly, but I gave him an assuring smile, letting him know that I can handle it on my own.

My dad's side of the family is the typical asian type of relatives. My aunts love to criticize everything I do, and not just me, they also try to hate on my mom every time my dad's not around. Dad found out about this, and they even fought for how many years, but my Mom was too nice to forgive them, and thus, they're back in our lives again.

They love to nitpick everything I do, while they praise Sungchan all the time. I don't feel jealous, but I do feel hurt every time they say something mean about me and my appearance.

"So, did you change your course yet?" Another Aunt asked while she's eating some fruits on the table.

"I haven't-" I was cut off from explaining anymore since another Aunt started talking.

"Ay, girl! You should change it! What job will that course give you, huh? Sungchan, scold your sibling a bit. Your parents love to spoil you so much." My Aunt nagged, even pointing at me, and I saw Sungchan looking pissed off, but I shook my head at him, a way of saying that he shouldn't do something that will once again break my dad's relationship with his siblings.

"Look at your cousin. She's so smart, and pretty! You should be like her more. And your other cousin is now working outside the country! Ay, girl! Work harder! You're not pretty, you're not smart, but at least work hard." another aunt told me before patting my back. My cousin who's also present here right now that I'm not close to just looked at me blankly before turning back to her phone.

I let out a sigh, and after a few more minutes, I decided to excuse myself since I still do have a lot of things to do. And Anton and I need to go out for a meeting to talk about our group project later.

I left Sungchan who looked like he'll die since he'll be left alone with them, but I just stuck my tongue out to tease him, before going up the stairs towards my room.

The comfort I felt as soon as I entered my room and locked the door felt so meaningful today, especially since the good and peaceful mood our house had always given me changed since our relatives suddenly visited us.

I wanted to cry, but I felt too tired and stressed for it. So, instead of focusing on how bad I feel, I decided to just finish my projects so that I won't have to worry about it later when I meet up with Anton.

Time went by as I was busy typing and writing some activities that are due next week. I was hungry, but was too scared to go down and get called mean things again by my Aunts if I go and get something to eat.