The Calling

(Take note: The italic word means that the character or being is speaking in Avian, the language of Aviara.)

Elowen's POV:

Elowen gripped the handle of her knife tightly, her knuckles whitening. The blood sprayed from her victim, this time a businessman, and splattered on her chin all the way down to her boots. His eyes bulged from its sockets. The ugly black orbs glared back at her cold orange ones as a last act of defiance before death overwhelmed his physical body.

Elowen said, "Soul-Reaper, claim this sacrifice." She raised her knife and pointed the tip of the blade at the dead man. 

A burst of purple energy shot from the intricate inscriptions on the knife and hit the body. The energy split apart into strips and curled around the limp form of the businessman. The energy wrapped around the body tightly, blood flowing freely from the wounds Elowen had inflicted and into the strips of purple light, tinting it bloodier. 

Once the body had been sucked dry of blood, the energy tore itself away from the empty shell and gathered into the form a wolf. 

The wolf had no other colour than the blood-purple ripples of energy that made up its body, face, limbs and tail. It snarled, "Good job, Steel Assassin. I have another mission for you. But first, I will give you your reward."

Elowen dipped her head slightly and held out her knife. The wolf's ghostly paw touched the blade and the reddish colour of the wolf drained into an inscription on the blade. The wolf growled, "I grant you, Steel Assassin, the gift of speed."

The inscription glowed brightly and it flashed once. Elowen braced herself as the power of the inscription ripped through her veins, burning white hot. Elowen's eyes screwed shut, gritting her teeth to prevent herself from crying out. 

Once the pain had subsided, Elowen opened her eyes again and locked eyes with the Soul-Reaper. Elowen said, "Thank you, Soul-Reaper. Who is my next target?" Elowen's newly gained attribute coursed through her blood restlessly and Elowen flexed her wrists in lost patience. 

The Soul-Reaper noticed her restlessness and replied, "Aviara's heir to the throne, Atlas Monet Aviarast."

Elowen's excitement vanished as quickly as it came. She paused for a moment to absorb this information and asked again, "The heir to the throne?"

The Soul-Reaper nodded its head, "You are well capable of eliminating him, Steel Assassin. You have trained for long enough."

Elowen swallowed the uncertainty bubbling up in her throat and replied steadily, "Yes, Soul-Reaper. When is this due?"

"The person did not specify, just eliminate Prince Atlas was all she asked," The Soul-Reaper explained. 

Elowen bowed her head and muttered, "Cleanse." The knife in her hand flashed and the blood from the blade swirled into a whirl and splashed on the ground, leaving the knife as clean as before she had killed the businessman.

She sheathed the knife and dismissed The Soul-Reaper. She looked up and found empty space where The Soul-Reaper had been moments ago. Elowen turned towards the only window in the abandoned building and looked toward the Aviara Palace. 

Elowen imagined the prince must be sound asleep in his bed. 

Elowen thought, 'The Aviarasts aren't naive nor dumb. I'm going to have to go undercover.' She clasped her hands together and muttered, "Changes come forth, come as a cloth. That I may use as a robe, and sneak to the heir of the throne."

Elowen drew her knife and cut a nick into her wrist. The blood bloomed from the wound and increased in amount, engulfing her. Her tunic, pants, and boots shredded away and was replaced by a maid's uniform, leggings and her black gloves replaced with white ones. 

Elowen twirled the knife in her hand and sheathed it into a pocket in her leggings and covered it with the long dress. Inwardly, Elowen cringed, but as usual, she showed no sign of discomfort or disgust. She headed towards the exit, making her way towards the palace. 

[663 words]