Parting

(Take note: The italic word means that the character or being is speaking in Avian, the language of Aviara.)

Omniscient POV:

Elowen and Atlas walked in silence, Atlas worrying for his father and his duty and Elowen thinking about what could be possibly off with the nurse. 

Elowen thought, '...why does she look so familiar?'

Then, the face came to her. The nurse had the spitting image of Princess Diane, the neighbouring country's princess. She gasped slightly, the nurse turning around to stare at her in confusion. Atlas gripped her arm tighter, "What's wrong?" He asked in Common so the nurse didn't understand. Or more like, so Diane wouldn't understand.

Elowen whispered into Atlas' ear, "I'll tell you later in the privacy of your room."

Soon enough, the nurse led them to Atlas' father's room. The sign outside the door said as much. Atlas murmured, "My father's name is Alexander."

Elowen lips curled up slightly as she replied, "I'll keep that in mind." Then, the nurse rapped on the door and a weak reply came, "come in..."

The nurse pushed the door open and stepped aside to allow Atlas to enter the room. Atlas unlocked his arm from Elowen's and she was left to follow behind him slowly. The nurse looked tempted to stay back to listen but went away after a while. Atlas asked softly, "Papa, how have you been?"

Elowen peered over Atlas' and found a frail, pale looking body just lying under covers. She looked at the face, the thin lips curled into a weak smile. Alexander said weakly, voice straining, "Son, are...ready for your...?"

Atlas leaned in closer and nodded. He asked, "Where's Mom? Has she visited you?"

Alexander broke eye contact with his son and asked, "Do you think she did?"

Atlas walked forward and clutched his father's hand, "Don't worry, Father. I'm ready. And...I have a companion, a girl I can trust."

King Alexander raised a shaky hand and brought it down upon his son's shoulder, "Can I see her?"

Elowen stepped out from behind Atlas shyly and waved a hand, "Hello, Your Majesty, Alexander. I am Elowen, Atlas' companion."

Alexander scanned her briefly and for one moment, she felt exposed and vulnerable, as though the king could see all her past experiences and judge her for it. Worried that he was not satisfied, she smiled slightly. 

Alexander closed his eyes and nodded slowly, "A Svian girl? Good choice, son. They are witty and quick-footed, which you would need in a companion."

Atlas was about to nod, but stopped as he registered what his father said. His eyes shot open in alarm and he waved his hands frantically, "No no, Father, we're just friends," he looked back at Elowen for support but she could only giggle slightly at his panic. 

The king chuckled softly, "I can tell from the glimmer in your eyes that there is something special between both of you." 

Elowen piped up from behind Atlas, "Don't worry, Your Majesty, I'll take care of him and make sure he doesn't go looking for trouble. And..." her demeanour changed, "how did you know I'm Svian?"

Atlas raised his eyebrows at Elowen and said, "You're Svian?"

Elowen lightly smacked his head, "Your father mentioned it seconds ago and you just forgot? It sounds like your soul animal would be a goldfish."

Atlas tried not to groan in embarrassment. He was pretty sure that his father would die of laughter before sickness actually killed him. King Alexander waited for them to settle down, before speaking, "No other race could have such beautiful natural sunset-orange eyes. Your hair should not be naturally ginger, though..." his gaze scanned her.

Elowen smiled, "It isn't. I used..." Atlas glanced at her in alarm, thinking she was going to reveal herself and was about to interject when she continued, "dye. I bleached it and dyed it."

The king nodded and closed his eyes, sinking back into the pillow. He sighed, "Son, go enjoy yourself with this girl, I will be gone soon, it's inevitable. Stop wasting your time here when you can prepare yourself."

Atlas asked, "Why does Mother want me to lead the country?"

King Alexander whispered softly, "Never let your mother catch me dead speaking Common," he chuckled shortly and continued, "well...she may want you out of the way. She is probably hoping the people will not accept you and shun you or that she will take you down by secretive means that cannot be traced back to you."

Atlas froze and asked, "May I speak with Elowen, Father?"

With a nod of assent, Atlas huddled Elowen to a corner and said, "You think my mother is the contact?"

Elowen hesitated for a moment and said, "No. I think it's your father."

Atlas' eyes shot open and whisper-yelled, "excuse me?"

Elowen stared at him hard, "You know exactly what I mean, Atlas. The Soul-reaper told me that the client was deathly close."

Atlas frowned, "It doesn't have to be taken literally...did..."

"Soul-reaper."

Atlas swallowed dry, "Did, Soul-reaper specify 'deathly'?"

Elowen bit her lip, "I just thought it would be important to note the usage of words."

"But don't you think it's weird that a person near death would want someone else dead?" Atlas cracked a knuckle. 

Elowen thought about it, "Sure...but are you sure that he wants you to succeed him?"

Atlas sniffed, "Yes, he's always supported me. It's my mother who doesn't want me. She wants Priera to take over the throne."

Elowen frowned, "Then why does she want you to take over?"

"Don't you understand? She wants me to feel the pressure and step down. Which I really want to do, but I want to prove my mother wrong and make my father proud," Atlas scrunched his eyes closed and sighed. 

Elowen turned around and addressed the king, "Your Majesty, may we take our leave now?"

The king nodded shortly and smiled, "Please take care of Atlas. He's very precious."

Elowen nodded and whispered, "I know..."

Elowen slid her arm under Atlas' and supported him and lugged him out of the door. Elowen reached out her free hand and twisted the doorknob and pushed the door wide open. A rush of air hit her face. 

The air tingled her nose and it twitched slightly as she stopped herself from sneezing. Atlas groaned, "I can walk on my own, you know? I'm fine."

Elowen teased him, touching her index finger to his nose, "I've got to take care of you, your father told me to."

Atlas sniffled, "But I'm supposed to be a king."

"And I'll keep you in order," Elowen smirked.

Atlas retaliated, "As my queen?"

Elowen's eyes widened. 'Did he just?'

[1074 words]