Alternative Way

(Take note: The italic word means that the character or being is speaking in Avian, the language of Aviara.)

Atlas' POV:

"I kill the client."

Atlas nearly flew into a flurry of quirky dance moves. He restrained himself and stated, "But that wouldn't accomplish your mission."

Elowen shrugged, "The Soul-reaper doesn't care. As long as the client is dead or the target is dead, he expects nothing else from me and I am free to do whatever I want, such as searching for Quinn."

Atlas' eyes brightened, "I'll go get Liera."

Elowen held out a hand and said, "Hold your horses. Are you sure she is the client?"

Atlas nodded ferociously, "Positive."

"If she ends up being the client, the Soul-reaper will appear and relieve me of my mission but if she isn't, we would've killed an innocent," Elowen reasoned.

Atlas sighed, "You have killed many innocents before, why can't you do it again?"

Elowen rubbed her temples and squeezed her eyes shut, "Atlas...those were targets..."

Atlas bit his lip nervously and said, "Better that than nothing, right?"

Elowen examined her knife, "There is no harm in trying. But I have a bad feeling..."

Atlas got to his feet and hurried to the door. He opened it and said, "Wait here. I will get her back here and you can kill her."

Elowen's POV:

Elowen nodded and sat back down on his bed. She flushed as she realised that she was in the prince's chamber. In all the haste and panic, she had only focused on Atlas, not caring about her surroundings.

She cursed inwardly, 'That was dangerous, Elowen. What if someone had jumped you? You would've been so out of it staring at that guy that they could probably take you down.'

Elowen snarled at herself and closed her eyes. She prayed, "Soul-reaper, is the client close?"

Soul-reaper jumped out of a pocket of air and landed on the floor of Atlas' chamber. He growled, "What have you gotten yourself into, Steel Assassin? I thought I took away your compassion, mercy and remorse?"

Elowen got off the bed and bowed, "Greatly sorry, Soul-reaper..."

Soul-reaper snarled, "Fix it. You know what will happen if you don't..."

Elowen kept her head bowed, "Of course, Soul-reaper."

Soul-reaper eyed her sharply, "Rely on yourself only. Mere human impulses will get you nowhere, Steel Assassin."

Elowen raised her head and met Soul-reaper's gaze. She smirked, "Of course. Anything to achieve my goals and dreams. For to embark on a journey to my goals and dreams takes bravery. To continue on that path requires courage."

Soul-reaper nodded, "Remember your oath."

"Indeed," Elowen dipped her head and when she raised it again, Soul-reaper was still there, unlike other times. She asked, "Is there anything you wish to speak of to me?"

Soul-reaper nodded his head once, "The client...is deathly close." With that, he howled and vanished in a 'puff of smoke'. Elowen knew it was merely energy puffs.

Elowen whispered to herself, "Don't be stupid, Atlas. Get the right person..."

[478 words]