A whirlwind of emotions

(Take note: The italic word means that the character or being is speaking in Avian, the language of Aviara.)

Atlas POV:

Atlas flinched. 'Did she just...okay never mind, calm down Atlas. She's not Liera, who betrayed you. In fact, she might just be your saving grace. She doesn't seem to know you.'

He mumbled, "Umm...I need someone to talk to, honestly."

Quinn nodded, "I'm not an empathic person, but I'll try to listen to you."

Atlas dipped his head, feeling tears resurface as he thought about Liera's betrayal. He hiccuped once and said, "M-my friend...Li-Liera, she...she doesn't want me...on the throne. I-I thought sh-she would b-be support-tive..."

Quinn expressed no emotion whatsoever. She fidgeted nervously with the hem of her skirts and took a tentative step forward. She asked, "Do you hate her?"

Atlas, in a blind state of sorrow, spoke in Avian, "I don't know...my thoughts are muddled right now. I just...need someone beside me, who won't ridicule me for being weak..."

Elowen POV:

The prince, Atlas, was bawling in front of her. Her heart twanged a little. She thought, 'What is this feeling? I'm supposed to kill him, not act like his emotional support therapist.'

Elowen looked at the sobbing mess of a prince. How could she ever kill someone so weak, with all their defences down. He needed someone to open up to and she had just stood there and listened. Why hadn't she leapt at this opportunity to murder him? She wasn't an empathic person, much less a considerate person. Goddamn, she killed for a living. So why not him? Did she feel an attraction to him?

No.

Elowen pushed the thought out of her head. There was no way a single glance could make her like the rest of the females, heads over heels in love with a handsome guy. Wait...did she just call him handsome?

No no no. STOP IT ELOWEN!

Despite her internal turmoil, on the outside she said, "I'm-" she decided saying sorry was not going to make things any better so she spontaneous said the first thing that came to her mind, "Do you hate her?"

Atlas POV:

Atlas looked up at that, having expected the 'I'm sorry' and for her to walk away in silent pity. But, she had kept the conversation going, meaning that she had maybe even the slightest curiosity of what's happening in his life. His small frown curled a little, hoping that hers would too.

But his smile seemed to have little effect on her. He answered, "I may be a little upset. But, the only evidence I have of her betrayal is from my mother...and my mother doesn't have a good track record of wanting what's best for me."

Quinn did not answer. She stared into his soul, as if trying to search for a deeper answer which he did not provide. But he himself didn't even know the full truth. He would have to interrogate Liera.

Quinn said softly, "So...my question earlier. How may I serve you?"

Atlas stood up straighter, saying, "Follow me, Quinn."

On the walk to his room, Quinn kept silent most of the time. Her expression was blank as a fresh canvas, giving nothing away. He asked, "Is Quinn your real name?"

Her frown did not twitch but her brows raised slightly, revealing a rounder shape of her eyes. But her brows fell back down just as quickly. She murmured, "Yes. It is."

He fumbled with what to respond with to that, "Well...it's a beautiful name." He smiled.

Quinn cracked a knuckle and replied, "...no."