Revelations

(Take note: The italic word means that the character or being is speaking in Avian, the language of Aviara.)

Atlas POV:

Atlas stumbled backwards, hitting the door. Queen Liz let out a short bark. "You never knew?! You're as dumb as I thought you to be. But it is essential for you to be the ruler, despite your lack of intelligence."

Atlas' gaze never left the floor as he processed the information that had been abruptly shoved in his direction. His mother never used Common unless it was a serious matter. Atlas stuttered, "N-no...n-not-t L-L-Lier-ra..." His voice shook as he desperately tried to convince himself through his voice.

A tear slipped from his eyes and splattered on the ground. Elizabeth sneered, "Get out. And never come back to me about this. I have said this and I will say it again. You are going to become king and it doesn't matter what that you don't want to, because my word is law."

Atlas turned around unsteadily and his hands flew for the doorknob. His mother did not say a word or reach out a hand to help her suffering son. She said, "Get ready to fulfil your duty, Atlas. Your Father is very weak and is probably going to leave us soon and we cannot have a liability in this time of struggle. We always need a ruler on the throne to remind the surrounding countries that we are never weak!"

Atlas mumbled, "Yes...Mother." He snatched ahold of the doorknob and twisted it, and flung his hand outward. The door flew open and Atlas fled from his mother. 

He panted with each step he took, hiccups racking his body. His paces slowed down as he reached the garden. Several servants rounded the corner and noticed him. They gasped when they saw him in his disheveled state and just gawked at him. 

His eyes were puffy, and his nose was red from all the crying. He reached up and used his sleeve to wipe away his tears. The servants quickly scurried away, whispers and murmurs rising up from the group of them. 

Atlas groaned, 'Oh no, they're going to spread the news and now everyone will think that I am a weak leader that cries openly in front of his subjects. Aviara Goddess...spare me. Please.'

His fingers raked through his curls as he thought about how he could resolve this. At that moment, a maid walked in, her slitted eyes darting around. 

She noticed him and her stance changed slightly. Her straight knees bent a little, her posture leaning forward a little and her hands raised as though she were prepared to fight. 

Atlas let out an audible sigh. Now there was going to be another nuisance spreading rumours. He said, "Go ahead. Tell everyone that I am useless. I am sick and tired of pretending."

The maid's posture did not relax, nor did she make any sound of acknowledgment. Her frown deepened and her eyes scanned him. After a few moments of silence, she stood up straighter and let her hands fall to her sides. Her lips parted, "You speak Common." It was more of a statement than a question. 

Atlas' brow raised in curiosity. 'Why hadn't she run off and told her friends about this? Why was she still here, staring at me? And...why does she look she doesn't know me..'

He answered in Avian, "I learnt it when I was very young as a rebellion against my mother. She hated the use of Common in the palace."

He half-expected the maid not to respond. However, her lips, which were curled down in a frown, split apart once again to speak, "Why?"

Atlas was stunned. No one had ever asked him that. They had always accepted what he had to say and walked off, as though he was not interesting enough to hold a conversation with. 

Atlas struggled to find the words to explain his answer. The maid did not seem in the least uncomfortable with the silence and simply stood there, waiting for his answer. He muttered, "I was never treated well..."

She did not show any reaction. Then, he realised he spoke too soft. He opened his mouth to repeat his answer, "I was-"

She cut him off, "I heard you loud and clear."

Atlas gaped at her, thinking, 'I didn't speak in an audible tone. How could she have possibly understood what I said?'

Now the silence was awkward as she did not reply to what he had said. His gaze darted from the maid to the ground, to the sky and back to the maid. He had no idea what to do and say to the air of the stuffy silence. 

The maid said, "You can call me Quinnstyll. Or shorter, Quinn."

Quinn stared directly into his eyes, not once in the last few seconds had she broken eye contact. Atlas flushed a little at Quinn's stare and he nodded. "I'm Atlas."

Quinn blinked a few times and said, "Okay." Then, her right hand reached underneath her clothing and she whispered something. 

Quinn closed her eyes and waited for a few moments before retracting her hand and opening her eyes. There was a quality of determination in her gaze and Atlas felt it in its full force. 

Quinn asked, "How may I serve you?"

[873 words]