Disagreements

(Take note: The italic word means that the character or being is speaking in Avian, the language of Aviara.)

Atlas POV:

Atlas woke up to a knock on his door. Liera's, his personal maid, voice rang out clear and strong, "Your Highness, it is time to wake. Shall I draw the bath for you?"

Atlas replied, "Yes-" then remembered that Liera only spoke Avian as a native language and that she had not learnt Common yet. He caught himself and continued, "Yes, please, Liera. Also, has Mother come back with an answer?"

The door to his chamber swung open and Liera stepped in. Atlas threw off the covers and stood up, opening his arms. Liera strode forward and embraced Atlas, "It's been a while, Atlas Monet. And, your mother has said that she does not wish for you to serve in the army. Your Father is of old age and she wishes for you to succeed him soon."

Atlas sighed, "I don't want to though...Priera would make a better queen than I a king."

Liera pursed her lips, trying to find a way to convince Atlas of his duty, "Your Highness, it is your Mother's wish and your Father is in no state to fight for you." 

Atlas bit the inside of his cheek and said, "Thank you, Liera. I know it must be tough to take care of me."

Liera drew back from the hug first, she shook her head frantically and said, "No no, not at all. I am glad to have the honour to serve you, Your Highness."

Atlas gave her a small smile, "Shall I wait out here for you to draw the bath?"

Liera bowed low and said, "That would be amazing."

Atlas nodded and headed back to his bed and sat down. His eyes followed Liera to his bathroom and watched her back disappear into it. He changed out from his clothes in the privacy of his room and clothed himself in a bath robe.

Liera seemed to sense what was happening in his room and said, "Please tell me when you feel comfortable for me to come out."

Atlas grunted his assent and Liera came out. She looked at him briefly and asked, "Do you require me to dress you afterwards?"

Atlas smiled, "Not at all. Take a break for today. I will spend most of it in my Mother's chambers and roaming around."

Liera picked at the corner of her maid's garment and curtsied before scurrying out of his room. Atlas thought, 'She's really caring for a maid that doesn't get paid much. I should really ask Mother to give her a pay raise.'

Atlas got into the bathroom and took a shower, letting the hot water run through his curls and down his back. 

~Time skip~

Atlas straightened his clothes and made for his mother's room. He walked down the winding hallways, each of them memorised and tucked away in Atlas' mind. He thought, 'I cannot rule this country, Mother has to appoint Priera ruler.'

He finally reached his mother's room, recognising the sign hung upon the door, reading, 'Queen Elizabeth'.

Atlas took in a shaky breath and rapped sharply on the door. For a moment, there was silence. Then, his mother's voice said, "State your name." Atlas gulped.

Replying in his harsh tongue, "Atlas, your son."

Atlas held his breath, waiting for her reply. He swore he could hear a deep sigh from inside his mother's chambers. 

His mother said firmly, "Enter."

Atlas straightened his clothes again for the nth time. His shaky hand reached for the doorknob and twisted. He pushed the door open, lips curling into a smile that often donned his facial features. 

He bowed and greeted his mother, "May the Goddess grant you wisdom," 

His mother lazily replied, "And may she be alongside you till death cometh."

Atlas smiled, "Good morning, Mother. Nice day, isn't it?"

His mother glanced sharply at him at his use of Common. The surprise faded quickly, replaced with a stern expression. She reprimanded him in Avian, "Never use that foul language in front of me!"

Atlas thought, 'If only you are a bit kinder to me...'

Outwardly, he strained his smile to curl more and answered, "Indeed, Mother. That was merely a slip of tongue."

His mother glared at him, not believing a word he said. She sniffed, "What has made you come to my chambers?"

Atlas cleared his throat, "With all due respect, Mother, I do not wish to become King of Aviara. Priera would be a much suited candidate for the role of Queen."

Queen Liz stood up from her bed and said sharply, "I thought I made it clear to that maid that this was not up for debate. I'm going to fire that useless brat."

Atlas growled, "Mother, Liera made it crystal clear that you wanted me to be King but I refuse. Priera has always been the kinder sibling. The politer royal. Her chemistry with the people is unmatched. I could never get the adoration, love and respect from the people like Priera can."

Queen Liz groaned, "You naive child. Can't you see? That maid wants you dead!"

[834 words]