Trauma

(Take note: The italic word means that the character or being is speaking in Avian, the language of Aviara.)

Elowen's POV:

Elowen jolted awake. She inhaled and was instantly alert. There was the smell of medicinal works, nurses were bustling around and maids and servants rushing around completing errands. 

Elowen watched as some maid had a cut stitched up and she winced. As much as she used sharp objects daily (#herknife), she was still squeamish if the sharp object was not a knife. A voice cut through her thoughts, "What's wrong, Lowie?"

Elowen turned to Atlas and asked, "Why am I here?" then she pointed towards the nurse holding the needle, "that needle unnerves me..."

Atlas pointed to her back and said, "You reopened some cuts, they were bleeding badly. And girl, you're 18. You're still afraid of needles? You are even an assassin, with your own knife."

Elowen put on an expression of mock hurt, "Aight, stop bashing me. I'm squeamish of all sharp objects except knives because a knife killed my mother. My only source of comfort. Plus, my mom used to break glass and cut me with it. So..."

Atlas slapped himself and cursed, "Oh my god, I'm so stupid. I'm sorry."

Elowen forced a laugh, "It's okay, I didn't even tell you about it."

Atlas bit his lip. Now, the silence was awkward.

Atlas' POV:

'Oh my god, I feel so bad. I basically called her a 'scaredy-cat' without understanding her past trauma. How do I make up for that??? AGH I'M GOING CRAZY (A/U: I'm alr delulu HEHEHEHE #kpopstan)'

He fidgeted nervously and asked, "Is your injury...okay?"

Elowen shrugged. She pulled at the black fabric of his shirt and turned around. He lifted it high enough to check her injuries. The nurse in charge of her had done a good job and they seemed sealed cleanly. 

He said, "They cleaned you up really well. The nurse and staff here are great." He smiled to relieve the air of its tension, and Elowen smiled slightly, still hesitant and awkward.

"Well, I guess they opened up because...I don't really get them seen to. I just use my magic to close them up temporarily, which as sketchy as it may sound, it's quite convenient. What'd they think of them? Wounds that look as fresh as a newborn baby but scarred for 5 years," Elowen said in a matter-of-fact way.

Atlas stuttered, "F-Five years?! No way, right?"

Elowen scratched her nape, "They didn't close up and I couldn't be bothered to seek professional medical care for them. They hurt every single time they open up, but..." she chuckled a little to herself, "I'm lazy, basically."

Atlas let his temptations win and reached both his hands forward and rested them on her cheeks. She flinched, stunned and surprised. Elowen flushed at his touch and stayed still. Atlas held his breath and took his fingers to pinch her cheeks. He giggled as he moved them around cheekily and he could hear Elowen's audible sigh of relief. 

Atlas pulled away and said, "Your cheeks are quite chubby despite the cold look, you know. I think that's cute." He grinned wider.

Elowen smirked, "I can't pinch your cheeks. I can only feel bone." She reached forward and pretended to not be able to pinch his cheeks. 

Atlas tickled her in the sides, "Liaaaaarr!" Elowen didn't even squirm, still grinning like a cheeky monkey.

At that moment, a nurse walked up to them and bowed, "Your Highness, your father...he might not make it. He only has a few hours. Shall I bring you to his ward?"

Atlas glanced to Elowen to ask if she would be alright but she was already hopping off the bed and said, "Let's go."

Atlas shrugged and got off his seat. Despite her recent injury, she only winced every now and then, otherwise, she showed no signs of weakness. Atlas walked beside her and linked their arms. Elowen tried to tug out of their link but when she realised it was just Atlas, she relaxed.

Atlas' POV:

Atlas stabilised her, as the nurse led the way, oblivious to what was happening behind her. Atlas turned to look Elowen in the eye and Elowen didn't break eye contact. Elowen was such a precious girl. For once in his life, someone could look him in the eye without breaking eye contact seconds later. 

Elowen's frown was back but her eyes were lit with happiness. It was clear that she didn't want to show weakness in public by smiling so she kept a frown on to ward everyone away. Atlas was probably the only one that had seen her smile and heard her beautiful, melodious laugh. 

Atlas admired her eyes, them being a rare natural colour that Avians usually did not have. Then he remembered that Elowen had dismissed his question about her nationality. So, he decided to ask again, "Lowie, uhm...are you Avian?"

He took note of the nurse's pace and it seemed to slow down. He glanced at Elowen and jerked his head towards the nurse. Elowen nodded. Atlas thought, 'Of course she would notice that before I did.'

Elowen pretended that she did not notice the nurse listening in on their conversation and said in an Avian tongue, "Does this answer your question?"

The nurse's ears, which were pricked moments ago, relaxed a little. She was now minding her own business. Atlas gave her a side-eye and lifted a brow as if to ask, 'Are you though?'

Elowen regarded him carefully and shook her head. He relaxed a little, now knowing the full truth. Elowen had probably only come to Aviara to kill him for her mission. After she settled it, she would leave to go find her aunt. Somehow, that made him feel sad.

He slapped himself, 'You actually want her to stay longer? Are you crazy, she's an assassin! But...I've fallen, haven't I?'

Atlas turned to look at Elowen again and he noticed her frown deepen. He used a finger a tapped her arm, whispering, "What's up?"

Elowen whispered, "That nurse...I feel off put about her."

Atlas shrugged, "All of them are nice, they have never harmed me before."

Elowen swallowed and didn't reply. 

[1008 words]