Jason

Normally, it would take all of us to hold back the satyr, but Calli calmly holds out her hand. "Woah, Gleeson. Bring it down a few notches. It's too early for this."

I get a vague memory. Dionysus and satyrs. I think that satyrs were followers of Dionysus or something. Or they serve him, maybe. I don't know. But whatever it is, it works, because he lowers his club.

A younger man charges into the room. He must be Lit. He's dressed in pajama pants with a sleeveless T-shirt that says CORNHUSKERS, and he holds a sword that looks like it could husk a lot of things besides corn. His ripped arms are covered in scars, and his face, framed by curly hair, would be handsome if it wasn't also sliced up.

He immediately zeroes in on me like I'm the biggest threat, and stalks towards me, swinging his sword. 

"Hold on!" Piper steps forwards, trying to sound calm. "This is just a misunderstanding! Everything is fine."

Lit stops in his tracks, but he still looks wary. It doesn't help that the satyr has started screaming again while Calli somehow holds him back. "I'll get them! Don't worry!"

Coach." I plead. "They may be friendly. Besides, we're trespassing in their house."

"Thank you!" Exclaims the old man in the bathrobe. "Now, who are you and why are you here?"

"Let's all put our weapons down." Piper offers. "Coach, you first."

Hedge clenches his jaw. "Just one thwack?"

"No."

"What about a compromise? I'll kill them first, and if it turns out they were friendly, I'll apologize."

"No!"

"Meh." Coach lowers his club.

Piper gives Lit a frriendly sorry-about-that smile. Even with her hair a mess and two-day-old clothes, she looks cute. I'm a little jealous that she's giving Lit that smile.

Lit huffs and sheaths his sword. "You speak well, girl. Fortunately for your friends, or I would've run them through."

"Appreciate it." Leo huffs.

"Yeah, I try not to get run through before lunchtime." Calli agrees.

The old man in the bathrobe sighs, kicking the teapot that Coach Hedge had smashed. "Well, since you're here. Please, sit down."

Lit frowns. "Your Majesty-"

"No, no, it's fine, Lit." The old man says. "New land, new customs. They may sit in my presence. After all, they've seen me in my nightclothes. No sense observing formalities." He does his best to smile, even though it looks a little forced. "Welcome to my humble home. I am King Midas."

"Midas? Impossible." Says Coach Hedge. "He died."

We sit down on the sofas while the king reclines on his throne. Lit stands behind him, both hands on his sword, glancing at Piper and Calli and flexing his muscular arms.

Piper sits forwards. "What our satyr friend means, Your Majesty, is that you're the second mortal we've met who should be, erm, sorry, but, uh-"

"Dead." Calli finishes bluntly, leaning back on the couch as if she's right at home. "King Midas lived thousands of years ago. He died. Deceased. In the ground. Worm food. Pushing up daisies-"

I cut her off with a glare.

"Interesting." The king gazes out the windows thoughtfully. "You know, I think I was a bit dead for a while. It's strange. Seems like a dream, doesn't it, Lit?"