Leo

"Is the fortress always hanging there?" Piper asks. "How can people not notice it sitting on top of Pikes Peak?" 

"The Mist." Thalia explains. "Still, mortals do notice it indirectly. Some days, Pikes Peak looks purple. People say it's a trick of the light, but actually it's the color of Aeolus's palace, reflecting off the mountain face." 

"It's enormous." Jason says. 

"That's what she said." Calli blurts out, as if impulsively. "You should see Olympus." 

Thalia nods. "For sure." 

"You're serious?" Jason asks. "You guys have been there?"

Thalia grimaces as if it's not a good memory. "We should go across in two different groups. The bridge is fragile." 

"That's reassuring." I tell her. "Jason, can't you just fly us up there?" 

Thalia laughs, then seems to realize that my question isn't a joke. "Wait... Jason, you can fly?" 

Jason gazes up at the floating fortress. "Well, sort of. More like I can control the winds. But the winds up here are so strong. I'm not sure I'd want to try. Thalia... you mean, you can't fly?"

For a second, Thalia looks genuinely afraid. Then she gets her expression under control. I realize she's a lot more scared of heights than she let on. 

"Truthfully," She says, "I've never tried. Might be better if we stuck to the bridge. Or, Calli, can you teleport us up there?"

Calli peers over the edge of the mountain. "I'm not sure. I can't see the top. I could end up falling over the edge, or teleporting inside of a wall, or- well, anyways, even if I do get up there safely, I couldn't get us all over. I'd say I have maybe two or three trips before I pass out. I can try and get myself over there, and if any of you fall, I'll try and catch you." She offers. 

"Sure." Jason shrugs. 

Before anyone can protest, she disappears into purple flames, leaving behind the faint smell of grapes. Up on the rock mountain, I see her appear, five feet above the ground. She falls hard, but gets up quickly and waves at us from the other side. 

Coach Hedge taps the ice vapor trail with his hoof, then jumps onto the bridge. Amazingly, it holds his weight. "Easy! I'll go first. Piper, come on girl. I'll give you a hand." 

"No, that's okay." Piper starts to say, but the coach grabs her hand and drags her up the bridge. 

When they're about halfway, the bridge seems to be holding them just fine. 

Thalia turns to her hunter friend. "Phoebe, I'll be back soon. Go find the others. Tell them I'm on my way." 

"You sure?" Phoebe narrows her eyes at Jason and I, like we might kidnap Thalia or something. 

"It's fine." Thalia promises. 

Phoebe nods reluctantly, then races down the mountain path, the white wolves at her heels. 

"Jason, Leo, be careful where you step." Thalia tells us. "It hardly ever breaks."

"It hasn't met me yet." I mutter, but Jason and I lead the way up the bridge.