Callida

Wow. I'm so glad I let Annabeth guilt me into coming to this island. Totally worth it. I feel like such a hero, sitting here in the sand, playing therapist to the Starbucks of Greek History. 

"And then what?" I ask halfheartedly, staring at the Argo II wistfully behind the waves crashing on the beach. I wonder if they're watching us on the ship. 

"And then, I had to fight the Nemean lion!" He exclaims. "I mean, how many impossible tasks do I have to do for that witch?"

"That sounds awful." I summon a goblet of wine and take a sip. 

He sits down in the sand next to me. "Tell me your story." 

"What?" I ask, actually surprised. 

"How did a daughter of Dionysus end up on a quest to destroy the giants?"

I exhale loudly. "That is a long story." 

Hercules shrugs. "We have until sunset."

"Good point." I mutter. I tell him my story, from beginning to end. My mom dying, my days at camp, fighting to prove my worth. My first quest with Percy, Annabeth, and Thalia. Leading the army of Camp Half-Blood against the monsters that broke in through the Labyrinth. My fight with Kronos, my quest with Jason, Leo, and Piper. All the way up to where we are now. 

Hercules whistles. "Wow. It seems you've been fighting to prove your worth your entire life." 

"It's not just that." I insist. "I've been fighting to survive. All this crazy stuff, it found me. I got dragged in. I'd be happy to be back at camp, growing strawberries and preparing to fight the Romans. I mean, that's my home. I love my friends, but I don't think I belong there with them. They're all great demigods, with plenty to offer. All I can do is drive people nuts and make wine." I kick the sand in front of me in frustration. 

"I can understand that more than most." Hercules says seriously, staring out over the waves. "But I think we both know you can do more than that."

"What do you mean?"

"You've accomplished more than most demigods do in a lifetime." He shrugs. "For a child of Dionysus, that is quite unexpected." 

"But I didn't mean to do any of those things." I insist. "I was always just trying to protect my friends."

"Well, that makes you a great demigod." He tells me pointedly. "Your greatness comes from your love for your friends."

I suddenly get the feeling that he's playing therapist to me now. 

"I had to accomplish my tasks mostly alone. People talk about me because I did all these crazy things on my own. But I wasn't searching for greatness when I did them. I was doing what I had to do. That's what makes heroes."

I think about that for a moment. 

When I go to speak, I notice Hercules is staring at me intently. "What?"

"You are so beautiful." 

"Oh." I get up quickly. "Thanks." 

He raises an eyebrow. "I am the mighty Hercules. I am the first thing people think of when they hear the words Greek Mythology. You refuse my advances?"

"Aren't you married?" I blurt out. 

"Yes, Hebe, the goddess of youth." He shrugs. "Gods do what they like. Otherwise, most demigods wouldn't exist."

"Sorry." I grimace. "But you're not my type." 

"No?" He looks genuinely surprised. 

"Yeah, I like scrawny mechanics, apparently."