Piper

"Jason!" I keep calling his name as I hold him, though I've almost lost hope. He's been unconscious for two minutes now. His body is steaming, his eyes rolled back in his head. I can't tell if he's even breathing.

"It's no use, child." Hera stands over us in her simple black robes and shawl.

I hadn't seen her go nuclear. Thankfully I'd closed my eyes, but I can see the aftereffects. Every speck of winter is gone from the valley. No signs of battle either. The monsters have been vaporized. The ruins have been restored to what they were before battle.

Even the Hunters have been revived. Most wait at a respectful distance in the meadow, but Thalia kneels by my side, her hand on Jason's forehead.

She glares up at the goddess. "This is your fault. Do something!"

"Do not address me that way, girl. I am the queen-"

"Fix him!"

Hera's eyes flicker with power. "I did warn him. I would never intentionally hurt the boy. He was to be my champion. I told them to close their eyes before I revealed my true form."

"Um..." Leo frowns. "True form is bad, right? So why did you do it?"

"I unleashed my power to help you, fool!" Hera cries. "I became pure energy so I could disintegrate the monsters, restore this place, and even save these miserable Hunters from the ice."

"But mortals can't look upon that form!" Thalia shouts. "You've killed him!"

Leo shakes his head in dismay. "That's what our prophecy meant. Death unleash, through Hera's rage. Come on, lady! You're a goddess. Do some voodoo magic on him! Bring him back!"

I half hear their conversation, but mostly I'm focused on Jason's face. "He's breathing!" I announce.

"Impossible." Hera says. "I wish it were true, child, but no mortal has ever-"

"Jason." I call, putting every bit of willpower into his name. I can't lose him. "Listen to me. You can do this. Come back. You're going to be fine."

Nothing happens.

"Healing is not a power of Aphrodite." Hera says regretfully. "Even I cannot fix this, girl. His mortal spirit-"

"Jason." I say again. "Wake up."

He gasps and his eyes fly open. For a moment they're full of light, glowing pure gold. Then, the light fades and they're normal again. "What- what happened?"

"Impossible!" Hera exclaims.

I wrap Jason in a hug and he groans. "Crushing me."

"Sorry." I smile. I'm so relieved, I laugh and wipe a tear from my eye.

Thalia grips her brother's hand. "How do you feel?"

"Hot." He mutters. "Mouth is dry. And I saw something... really terrible."

"That was Hera." Calli grumbles. She's clearly relieved that Jason is okay, but she's glaring at the goddess with so much anger, I half expect Hera to fall on her knees like the giants did.

Thalia scoffs. "Her Majesty, the Loose Cannon."

"That's it, Callida Rivera and Thalia Grace." The goddess snaps. "I will turn you two into aardvarks, so help me-"

"Stop it you guys." I scold. Amazingly, they shut up.

I help Jason to his feet and give him the last nectar from our supplies.

"Now." I face the girls. "Hera, Your Majesty, we couldn't have rescued without the Hunters, or Calli. Thalia, you never would have seen Jason again, I wouldn't have met him, if it wasn't for Hera. Calli, well, you wouldn't know Jason either if not for Hera, and I think she's your godly grandmother or great grandmother or something like that. The three of you make nice, because we've got bigger problems."