005 - After thought

***   Evelynn POV   ***

"You seem to be in a bad mood," he asks me. For a moment I forgot that he even came to see me in the first place.

Idling near the couch, my gaze is fixated on the world outside of this room. Rhythmically tapping my finger against my forearm. Stuck between contemplation and a need to do something about the situation that can barely be explained.

"I'm always in a bad mood," I answer.

"What's going on in that head of yours then?" I glance at him through the corner of my eye, I slowly turn to face him so that he can read the expression on my face rather than having me to spell it out for him. "Right. Sensitive subject. But wouldn't it help to at the very least clear the air?"

I cock my head slightly, then with a sharp exhale I begin, "I suppose you aren't wrong. So let's start from the top, shall we?"

"Hmm? Need me to bring in a whiteboard?"

I don't laugh at his joke. "An accident happens, and the crash experts say that it HAD to be a head-on collision which means the engine of both cars had to be totalled especially considering the impact damage. Are you following so far?"

"Where's the other vehicle."

"Correct," I turn back around to look at the window, "there wasn't even something left behind to identify it. It happened late at night with little to no people on the road save for the tired families, they won't even pay attention to what is around them rather than ahead of them."

"So it has to be planned, is what you are saying?"

"How it happened is suspicious. Late at night, driving away from Venaciri which houses one of the few homes that every one of us owns. It is the most known one of the lot but even then only close friends, workers, and family know about that place. (Y/N) was fetching something for ME and nobody else should know about the trip other than me."

"So let's take our pick here," he chimes in. "Either someone was already lurking around trying to find you, maybe stealing something at your home and walking in on him. Rammed him off the road but that wouldn't make sense, they'd leave whatever they rammed him with. Or maybe an accident, a modified car for a crash rally. They shat themselves and ran as quick as they could in hopes to forget everything about it."

I scoff at both of his answers. "The latter is more likely, but it has to be planned. We were in the confines of this very room. It isn't by any means private and it would be easy for anyone within the studio to just listen in on what there's to say."

I continue my thought with a glare, "It comes down to the next suspicion. How many people know about the relationship? Aside from our closest friends? Aside from a few select colleagues? Aside from you?"

No answer.

"The simplest answer is to start looking at the inner circle, then the wider circle. (Y/N) told us himself that he would never say anything about the relationship for the sake of our safety and privacy as well as his own. Why else would it just look like a targeted crime? What reason is there beyond petty jealousy of some crazed fuck? Or maybe I am looking too deeply into it, it could just be someone who got scared after ramming someone off the road and decided to leave them to die because the repercussions aren't worth going through for someone who could very well already be dead."

"You can't discount any options," he agrees.

"Aye, on that we can agree." I turn around to face him, a tall muscular red-head. His physique doesn't really match up with the job he has but most people like to keep fit and you can't ever fault them for that. I stop just in front of him to look him in his green eyes, "So you'll understand that everyone makes my shortlist? Even you."

He doesn't move but rather crosses his arms at me while watching me with piqued interest, "Oh? Then what reason would I have for that, Evelynn? Why would I ram someone off of the road?"

I spin around as I sigh, "I suppose I don't have much to go on."

"That's a terrible start."

I pick up a frame, looking at a picture of Ahri when she used to be a solo star. "Someone I know believes that people often give everything away without ever intending to, a secret is hard to keep especially if you are trying to let it die quietly. Every word suddenly matters, every action, every thought. Every single moment was spent thinking; when will I be in the clear?"

I turn to face him, "How has Ahri been lately?"

"Ask her yourself, you sleep in the same bed more than you'd like to openly admit."

"I have to admit that it is true, I should have thought about it honestly. But in all honestly I am more interested in what she tells you. Has she ever properly talked to you again after you voiced your very strong opinion about (Y/N) to her?"

The muscles in his jaw tense, and the words must sting badly. I don't blame him for trying but you never really have a sense of how low someone is willing to go until you've taken something right out of the fingers.

"If you must know she was very very clear that whatever happened then and now will have to stay there. On a professional level, she is willing to work with me but on a personal level my input is very much unwanted."

"You don't say..." I softly gasp to myself, it almost comes off as sarcastic. "Then maybe it is misplaced."

"You have a right to have your suspicions about me, Evelynn. But I want to prove that I am above my mistakes and I'd like to believe that you can also see that. Though I do think that playing that card is vile."

I chuckle, "It is, isn't it? But the things we do for the people we love can very much be described the same way. We all are self-centered creatures after all. Then you'll understand when I say that I'll continue to have my suspicions till I have an answer, yes?"

"Yes, Evelynn."

"Good," I set down the photo. "Then back to the reason for your visit. Is something the matter?"

"Nothing in particular. Just went over a lot of the numbers with the accountants and the taxes are going to look a bit more than what our provisional will cover. The rest of the talking points are all directed towards the artist signing with this label and that has been bringing us under fire from critics in favor of Thresh Records. All that lovely stuff."

"Such is the game, we haven't gone a day without criticism so today wouldn't be the day for it to end."

On the list of things important to me right now, this is incredibly low. There isn't anything interesting happening soon for us to care about in the long run and nothing short or long-term that we won't be able to deal with.

My immediate issue lies with what happened that night.

I need to know.

"Until next time, Randalf."