Jungkook

"Jack Bennett,." Aria shook harder. "Jungkook, my mom didn't try to kill me. My dad and sister did"

"Are you sure about this Aria?"

I was completely shocked when she revealed the horrifying truth. The image is etched in my mind, and my heart aches at the realization that her own father and sister plotted to harm her.

When she has the same blood as they

"Yes jungkook, one of them tried to push me into the lake when I don't know how to swim"

Overwhelmed by emotion, she started crying intensely. Without a second thought, I embraced her, offering a refuge in my arms.

Gently, I placed her head on my chest, providing a steady heartbeat amidst the chaos of her feelings. I moved my hands in comforting circles on her back, hoping to convey a sense of security and understanding through the simple gesture.

"Shh, it's okay, sweetheart, you're safe now. No one will hurt you again; I've got you. I'll always be here to protect you, love."

She didn't say anything

"I remember the faces, the nightmare—all of it now. They both tried—tried to hurt me."

She gently placed her hand on my chest, allowing herself to find comfort and solace there until she feels better.

I stayed by her side the entire day, until she called a friend over and I had to leave for work. But my thoughts remained with Aria; I kept texting her to ensure she was okay.

Aria

HE WAS LATE.

I tapped my fingers on the table, trying not to check the time on my phone. Again.

Jungkook and I had planned to meet at the Mexican restaurant near campus at six. It was now seven-thirty, and he hadn't replied to any of my texts or calls.

Half an hour wasn't much, especially with rush hour traffic, but Jungkook was always on time.

And he always, always responded to my texts. I had even called his office, but his assistant informed me he had left an hour ago, which meant he should have arrived by now.

Worry twisted in my stomach too. I couldn't help but wonder if something had happened to him. What if he'd been in an accident? It's a scary thought.

I always pictured Jungkook as unbreakable, but he was just as vulnerable as the rest of us. I'd wait ten more minutes. If he didn't show, well, I wasn't sure what I'd do. Maybe call in the cavalry—or, heck, the National Guard.

If he was hurt, I wouldn't sit here and do nothing.

"Can I get you anything, dear?" The waitress swooped by again. "Other than water," she added pointedly.

The tips of my ears turned red. "No, thanks. I'm, um, still waiting for my friend."

That seemed slightly less pathetic than admitting I was waiting for my boyfriend. Slightly. She let out an aggrieved sigh and moved on to the older couple next to me.