━ 𝟎𝟎𝟐

𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐔𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 ー 𝙝𝙖𝙯𝙗𝙞𝙣 𝙝.
𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐔𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 ー 𝙝𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙪𝙫𝙖 𝙗.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

    "I will be taking an extended leave, Your Majesties," (Y/N) suddenly announced to both Lucifer and Lilith the following day, the former's expression immediately souring while the latter couldn't look more pleased. "Every time that you've suggested to me a vacation I've turned down, however I would like you to take you up on your offer now."

    "Denied," Lucifer tapped a finger against the arm of his throne in an irritable matter, pouting once more at the request.

    "Why not, dear?" Lilith hummed, her red lips curving upwards. "Poor (Y/N) here hasn't had a break in the last thousands of years that she has been serving you, correct? And it's just like she said: she's always turned down our offers to allow her a vacation. To me, she has done more than enough to deserve such a thing, don't you think?"

    Lucifer's pout deepened.

    He knew that Lilith was speaking the truth.

    But he didn't like it, all the same.

The thought of parting from (Y/N) for even a single moment sent a bad feeling brewing within his gut, one that left him uneasy. She had been the one assigned to him to act as his sword—the one to protect him and always be by his side. Yet, there she was now asking to do exactly the opposite of that.

He almost couldn't stand it.

    "Your words make sense, Lilith, but as you can see, I would feel quite uncomfortable if my head guard were not here," he stated as he flicked off imaginary dirt from his suit, acting as if that were the only reason he didn't want to see her go. "Besides, why leave the palace for a break when we can offer you far better accommodations than anywhere else?"

    "Your Majesty, please allow me this," (Y/N) pressed, her stare never once wavering.

Lucifer flinched, feeling a type of guilt claw through him for denying her what she wanted. After all, he had never once been able to deny her anything of what she wished before—not that she ever really demanded anything from him in the first place. His grip on the arms of his throne tightened, already starting to feel a sense of anxiety creep through him and squeeze his heart tightly when thinking of the extended period of time he would go without (Y/N).

He didn't realize it, but the dependence that he had on her was unhealthy to an extreme.

    (Y/N) may not have remembered everything they had been through since they had lived for so long, but Lucifer did. Every single instance and moment that she had with him was burned into his memory with finite precision. He could remember that when he had been younger, when he had fallen from Heaven into Hell, when he had become a castaway, a worthless being who was only known as the most despicable of the celestials, she had been there. From the pit of darkness that seemed so eager to swallow him birthed a woman already clad in obsidian armor with an intense and ferocious look in her eyes.

    She was a destructive force that outshone everything around her.

    And she was his.

    She was the saving grace that allowed him not to let the darkness consume him completely.

"Lilith, dear, would you mind giving (Y/N) and I a moment alone?" Lucifer requested, his stare still pinned to (Y/N) with a type of emotion within the gaze that the two other women hadn't really seen before. "If it doesn't trouble you, that is..."

"Right..." Lilith stood up, her satin gown flowing at her feet. "Of course."

Walking down the hallway, her steps muffled by the blood red carpet that graced the polished floor, she glanced back only one more time with a frown tugging on her lips and furrowed brows before she let the door creak shut behind her.

And with that, (Y/N) and Lucifer were left alone.

The silence was practically deafening.

    "You're really trying to leave me after all, huh!?" Lucifer then accused as he stood from his throne and pointed a finger down at her. "Haven't you forgotten what your place is? You're always supposed to be by my side! Why do I have to keep reminding you of this because you keep trying to leave?"

    "Your Majesty, I have loyally served you for thousands of years," (Y/N) deflected, ignoring the hurt reflected in his gaze. "Do you not trust that when I am done with my rest, I will not return to serve you?"

    Lucifer flinched.

    That was exactly what he feared.

    The only reason he was able to stay sane at all is if she were with him. If he never was able to see her again, there was no telling what he would do.

    "Will you really come back to me?" Lucifer approached her to clasp both of her hands in his as he looked at her. "You promise me that you'll come back, right? That you won't leave me, right? I don't think it would be good if you were gone by my side for too long, don't you think so too?"

    She sighed.

    "As I am yours, I would never dare abandon my post beside you," she then answered.

    "Ah... that's good..." he then murmured as his hand cupped her cheek, his eyes lidding. "I wouldn't want to lose my most precious guard."

Wrapping his arms around (Y/N) and giving her a tight squeeze, his touch lingering as if he still couldn't cope with the fact that he had to let her go, he finally released her and watched with discontent as she turned on her heel and stalked down the hall. Not even a moment later, the heavy door leading out of the throne hall closed behind her, shrouding Lucifer in a cruel silence without her presence.

He collapsed back into his throne.

Nothing felt right.

He was so used to (Y/N) by his side, he knew it wasn't natural for her to be gone.

It wasn't natural at all.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

▸ ┈┈ ❝ 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒖𝒏𝒆𝒅 ❞