Why Can't we go Outside?

The months started to pass, and Hopesong slowly adjusted to her life in the Playcare. Although she was content, she couldn't help but wonder, "Uncle Chicken, why can't we go outside?" She innocently looked up at Kickin' Chicken, waiting for his answer.

Kickin' Chickin nearly choked on his apple as he turned his head to look at her. "U-Uh..Why do you ask?" He tried to recover from the sudden question as Hopesong pondered."Well, some people leave the Playcare and don't come back like when Luci Pane got adopted and left the employees and scientists get to leave, why can't we?" She looked at him again, waiting for him to respond.

Kickin' Chicken thought about her question and then smiled at her "Well we'd kinda stand out if we went outside where other humans are, but if we were allowed to go outside what would you do, champ?" He patted her head gently as her tail started to flick excitedly

"Oh! I would go to an ice cream truck and eat ice cream. I saw in a book that ice cream was really good. " she licked her lips at the thought. "Oh, and then I would fly around where the clouds and bue sky are!" She giggled happily, her wings flapping excitedly.

Kickin' Chicken laughed. "Blue, there is an L between the B and U, Hopesong. That sounds awesome! Then we can go to the beach and surf on the waves!" Kickin' Chicken exclaimed, giving Hopesong a noogie who let out a high-pitched laugh. "No! Haha! Uncle Chicken! Not the head!" She snorted and laughed, trying to get free, but Kickin' Chicken held her against his chest.

Kickin' Chicken finally relented, letting the pegasus go her hair now a frizzy mess. Hopesong was about to say something when "Hopesong! My little pegasus, where are you? It's lunchtime!" Dogday called out walking around the Plaza. Hopesong got up from her spot on top of Home Sweet Home. "I'm coming, Papa!" She turned to Kickin' Chicken, smiling apologeticly."Sorry, Uncle Chicken, I have to go." Kickin' Chicken ruffled her hair "Heh no worries champ besides Dogday would have my head if I kept you from having lunch... Again," the two burst into laughter.

Hopesong hugged Kickin' Chicken before descending from Home Sweet Home. Leaving Kickin' Chicken to ponder her question 'what would it be like going outside of the playcare?'

●~<♤>~●

Hopesong frowned at her failed drawing of a flower. She decided to join Craftycorn in arts and crafts with the children and attempted to draw a daisy. So far, she had tried to draw the flower at least five times, but it never came out like she imagined it. Craftycorn looked at her drawing after seeing her frustration. "It looks wonderful, Hopesong! It's a very nice rose. " Craftycorn had tried to cheer her up, but that had been the final straw.

"It's not supposed to be a rose! It's supposed to be a daisy!" She exclaimed through her tears,"but it always looks horrible! Why can't I get it right!?" She threw the paper away and ran into the Playhouse sobbing."W-Wait! Hopesong, I didn't mean to make you upset!" But Craftycorns calls for Hopesong fell on deaf ears.

Craftycorn sighed when Hopesong dissapered into the Playhouse. She looked over at the other children and calmed them down so they could continue. However, Craftycorn ended art and crafts early, and as the children made their way to the school, a little girl looked up at Craftycorn. "Is Hopesong ok? She looked so sad.." Craftycorn patted the girl on the head."Don't worry, she'll be ok she just needs time to calm down, then she'll be back tonight to sing to you all" The girl nodded at that answer and followed the others into the school.

Craftycorn sighed and went to find Dogday, knowing he was the only one who could comfort her when she needed it the most.

●~<♧>~●

Hopesong sniffled and wept into her pillow. She was curled in Dogdays bed, letting out all of her sorrows into the poor pillow. She sat up, wiping her eyes from the tears and sniffling. "....Hopesong..." A raspy voice echoed from one of the rooms.

Hopesong froze as red gas started to cover the floor of the Playhouse. She slowly got up it wasn't a lot of smoke, just an opaque cloud of red. She looked at the source and saw it was the last room from Craftycorns room. She cautiously went to the bars of the room and came face to face with Catnap.

Catnap stared at her, and Hopesong started to fidget from the uncomfortable quiet "H-Hello..?" Catnap crouched down so he could be at her level "So good....to finally meet you...".

His voice echoed through the empty hall making Hopesong fell like at any moment he would appear behind her "You're...You're Catnap" she was in awe of the cat who continued to stare "your taller then I expected your almost as tall as Papa!" She exclaimed in awe to which Catnap remained his silence. Hopesong hummed "your not much of a talker, huh? That's ok papa always said that even quiet people make good friends" she smiled at him.

Catnap looked at her before breathing out his words " The Prototype...Will save us.." that made Hopesong pause "huh? Prototype? who's that-?" Before she could ask she was interrupted by a booming voice.

"CATNAP" Dogday picked up Hopesong pulling her close to his chest "Don't even THINK about touching her, Catnap" he growled and Catnap backed off into the shadows of his room. Hopesong looked up at Dogday "Papa you didn't need to be mean we were just talking" Hopesong tried to defend Catnap not wanting him to be in trouble.

Dogday relaxed gently stroking Hopesongs hair "I know you want to protect him, my little pegasus, but you need to be careful with him...He could hurt you and if he did something to you I....I wouldn't forgive myself" Dogday looked her in the eyes "I need you to promise that you won't get near his room and if he says anything to you that seems strange, tell me" Hopesong hesitated before nodding "I promise, papa.." she looked at Catnaps room curiosity and concern swirling around her heart and mind.

Curiosity killed the cat could curiosity kill a pegasus?