The Calm before the Storm

Hopesong didn't like staying indoors for long periods of time. She enjoyed playing with the children during recess or after school. She also enjoyed talking to Ms. Delight, she was always kind to her and taught her all sorts of things, but she had to stay inside her and Dogdays room. It had been a few weeks after the incident in the caves, and her head was all healed up, but her right wing still needed time to recover. At least she didn't need those uncomfortable bandages she just couldn't fly.

She sighed out her boredom, focusing her attention on fixing a small toy robot she found. The little plush toys of The Smiling Critters gave her company when the bigger body ones were gone. They would sometimes whisper and giggle their jokes to her, trying to get her to smile. It worked but only a little bit. Eventually, they fell asleep around her as she tinkered with the small toy. She paused, hearing soft breathing from Catnap. He was quieter than usual, though he never talked much before this time he was even more quiet, and she hoped that Catnap wasn't mad at her for going into the caves.

She hummed and quietly stood up, going to his room. "Uncle Catnap? Are...Are you mad at me?" She looked over at him nervously, twirling her hair. Catnap raised his head. Looking at her, his tail flicked, and he walked over to her, sitting down in front of the bars. "No..." Hopesong sighed in relief then looked up at him."Then why have you been so quiet? Is something wrong?" Catnap shook his head side to side and patted her on the head with his tail."When the time is right....You will know..." And with that cryptic sentence, Catnap didn't speak further about it, and Hopesong knew better than to push for an answer cause she most likely won't get one.

Around dinner time, While everyone had conversations and ate Hopesong picked at her plate with her fork. She was so lost in thought about what Catnap had said she didn't notice the worried glances the other Smiling Critters were giving her. Pickypiggy was the first to speak up. "Darling? Is something wrong with the food? I can make you another plate if you don't - " Hopesong snapped out of her thoughts and smiled apologeticly "No no! It's okay, Aunt Piggy. I've just had a lot on my mind is all" she tried to reassure she was fine and went to eat.

Bubba Bubbaphant could see though that something was bothering her. "What's on your mind, little star? We can see something is bothering you. " Hoppy Hopscotch nodded in agreement."Ya! You haven't been acting like yourself, Feathers! If it's because Dogday's punishment is too harsh, we can nullify it-!" Dogday soon interjected."Hey! We all agreed grounding her was a fair punishment! Don't throw me under the bus!" Hopesong chuckled at Hoppy and Dogdays arguing. They were always trying to one-up each other on who was the best parental figure. She always thought it was silly since she loved them all no matter what.

Craftycorn soon stopped their fighting. "Please, no fighting! Why don't we let her tell us what's wrong instead of assuming" Kickin Chicken nodded in agreement "Ya it isn't cool that you're putting words in her mouth! Let her tell us what's wrong. " Hoppy Hopscotch and Dogday hung their heads in shame."I'm sorry, Feathers.." Hoppy Hopscotch rubbed her arm, and Dogday looked at Hopesong."I'm sorry ,my little pegasus, if you're comfortable with it, then you can tell us what's wrong when you're ready." Hopesong smiled at them. She was really lucky to have them all as her family. "Thank you for worrying about me, but I'm fine. Really, I am thank you for asking though, " she said and went to continue eating

That seemed to ease everyone's worries if only a little bit as they went to enjoying their meals and talking. Hopesong listened to them as she ate feeling content, just listening to them talk and laugh. They truly were her family, and she wouldn't trade them for anything else.

●~<♡>~●

"Hey (Y/n)? Do you ever feel..Hopeless?" Hopesongs question almost made (Y/n) spit out the lemonade they were drinking, looking at her with shock. The two were sitting outside of Home Sweet Home waiting for Dogday to return. "W-what? Why do you ask that, Hopesong?" Hopesong looked away, embarrassed she knew she should've kept her question to herself, but it was too late to take it back. "Well... When I got hurt in the caves, I tried calling out for help, but I couldn't, and no one heard I don't know I just...That was the first time I felt so..Hopeless...Like no one was going to save me..and.." Hopesong couldn't continue pulling her knees to her chest."I didn't like that feeling.." Her wings wrapped around her in a protective cacoon shielding her from the world.

(Y/n) looked at Hopesong and took some time to think over her question. After a moment of silence, they started to pet her wings gently, making Hopesong lower them slightly so she could face (Y/n). "It can be tough being hopeful. The world can challenge your hope and even make you lose it for some time, but eventually, you'll find that hope is what pushes you through the tough times and gives you the strength to persevere in the face of adversity." (Y/n) continued their gentle strokes on her feathers. Hopesong folded her wings behind her back, looking at (Y/n) in awe before smiling. (Y/n) continued, "So promise me that you won't lose hope. It's in your name, after all, and if you lose hope, we'll have to just call you Song from now on, " Hopesong laughed before hugging (Y/n) "Thank you and I promise I won't lose hope" (Y/n) smiled and patted her on the head "Thank you, starlight"

Hopesongs' wings twitched a bit from happiness as the two continued talking until Dogday returned.

●~<♧>~●

Inside the Playhouse, it was dark. The only light being the glow in the dark star stickers Hopesong found and put up on the ceiling a month ago. She was lying next to Dogday, who was fast asleep she sighed tiredly she wanted so badly to fall asleep, but even counting sheep wasn't cutting it for her. She slowly got up, untangling herself from Dogdays' protective hold. She walked over to Catnaps room and sighed. "Uncle Catnap...I need a favor." she whispered through the bars

Catnap got up and walked over to her, tilting his head. Hopesong took a deep breath. "Can you put me to sleep..? Please? I can't go to sleep. I keep having the same nightmare, and I really need some sleep..?" She explained, and Catnap listened, understanding her dilemma. Without saying a word, he breathed out his red smoke onto her face just enough, so it covered her face. Surprisingly, Hopesong didn't feel sleepy. The red smoke didn't work. This was a shock for both Hopesong and Catnap. Why wasn't the red smoke putting her to sleep? Why couldn't she fall asleep?

Before Hopesong could ask Catnap to try again, a growl came from behind her. She turned and saw Dogday glaring at Catnap. "Back away from her, NOW" Dogday growled, and Catnap looked at Hopesong before turning away, returning to his bed. Dogday grabbed Hopesongs' hand and took her back to their shared room. "Hopesong, I told you not to go near him." Dogday looked down at her, and she looked at the ground gripping her arm."I just wanted to sleep... I thought...why didn't it work..." she mumbled her wings, flapping a bit in her distress.

Dogday saw this and sighed, gently laying her and himself back into bed and pulling her close. "Listen to my heart, it might help take your mind off of what is bothering you," he gently rubbed her back as she pressed an ear against his chest. As she listened to the silent thumping of his heart, Dogday started to hum a soothing melody. Hopesong felt her eyes become heavy, and as if the magic words to a spell were said, Hopesong drifted off to sleep.

Dogday watched sleep and looked back at Catnaps room, narrowing his eyes. He was up to something he wasn't sure what it was, but he would die before he let Catnap drag Hopesong into any dangerous plan he was making. He wasn't going to let Catnap take his sunshine away.

If only they knew that soon their worlds would soon come crashing down. In fire and in blood.