Don't be Afraid

The night was always peaceful for Hopesong. After she sang the restless children to sleep, she would return to her room with Dogday and fall into dreams reassured with Dogday by her side.

However, this night was different from the other nights. "I'm going to be putting the children to sleep with uncle Catnap?" She was surprised at this news. Usually, she was kept far away from Catnap, but now the two were going to be sharing a task together for the first time. (Y/n) a caretaker for the children scratched their head nervously "Yes you and Catnap will help each other put the children to sleep. Although this wasn't my choice..Upper management said I had to do this and-" Hopesong chuckled putting an end to their rambling "It's ok, really I'm sure uncle Catnap and I will be fine working together." (Y/n) laughed a bit before clearing their throat "Well your not what I'm worrying about.." With that, it seemed Hopesong caught on to what they meant.

"SHE'S WHAT?!" Dogday exclaimed, holding Hopesong close."Y-you can't! She's not ready to be around him yet!-" (Y/n) interrupted his worried ramblings."It's not my decision, Dogday. Upper management wants them to work together. Trust me, if I had a say, I would've asked for a year apart, but they want them together now. " Dogday tried to rake his brain for an excuse to keep Hopesong away, but she patted his arm."Papa, I'll be ok. I can take care of myself, and it won't be for long! Trust me." She smiled to persuade him to agree.

Dogday sighed in defeat he could never say no to one of her smiles "Ok...But please, my little pegasus, be careful.." Hopesong smiled wide and hugged Dogday before leaving with (Y/n), leaving the dog to wonder if he had done the right thing.

●~<☆>~●

'Why does this feel so awkward?' The thought crossed her mind many times as she walked beside Catnap into Home Sweet Home. It wasn't the first time she sang for the children, yet somehow this felt different than when she sang to them on her own. This time, she was putting the children to sleep with her uncle Catnap.

Their first meeting wasn't the last. In secret, Hopesong would talk to Catnap outside the bars of his room, although he never said much she could tell that he listened to her every word. She felt like she could talk to him without having to hide anything from him. Her every secret and wish he listened intently and never said a word to anyone. Unlike her aunt Pickypiggy, now she loved her aunt she always made sure she was fed and gave her many treats, but boy was she a loud mouth. Even more so than her aunt Hoppy Hopscotch cause instead of telling someone right away, Aunt Pickypiggy would just accidentally blurt it out without noticing, which got her in trouble with Dogday many times.

She was pulled from her thoughts when Catnap poked her shoulder with his tail "Hopesong...What's wrong...?" His echoed in the quiet halls of Home Sweet Home making Hopesong snap out of her thoughts "O-oh I'm ok uncle Catnap just a bit nervous I mean this is the first time we've been near eachother without bars or anything" she smiled up at him. She found him to be the most interesting, considering he didn't look like the other Smiling Critters.

He walked on all fours while the others walked on two legs. He was quiet so quiet he could go anywhere undetected while the others were always talking about anything. Hopesong enjoyed his quiet listening it made her feel heard, although she had to admit it was a little scary, but everyone has their weird quirks.

She was once again pulled from her thoughts when they were brought into the children's room. The children were tucked into bed waiting for Catnap and Hopesong. Catnap stepped into the room with Hopesong stepping in beside him she saw the red gas leave his mouth and start to fill the room. For some reason, she didn't feel sleepy like she expected she would be. However, she saw some of the children start to toss and turn, becoming restless. That was her cue, and she took a deep breath

"Brush away your sorrows~"

"Brush away your tears~"

"Sing away your heavy heart~"

"The night will be over soon~"

Once her song ended, the children were fast asleep. The scientists quietly observed and gave nods of approval before taking the two out of the room. (Y/n) hurried over, looking nervous "So..How did it go?" The scientist they were talking to rolled his eyes in annoyance "ya ya experiment 1188 and 1977 did what they were supposed to do stop your worrying, " he dismissed their concerns making (Y/n) scrunch their face in disgust "They have names. Use them, " the scientist only scoffed."They are things I don't have to do anything," he hissed, looking at (Y/n) before taking the two back to their rooms in the Playhouse.

●~<♡>~●

Hopesong laid next to Dogday, watching his slow breathing. Once she confirmed he was asleep, she quietly got up and went to Catnaps room gently tapping the bars "Uncle Catnap...? Are you awake..?" She kept her voice down so she didn't wake anyone especially her papa.

Catnap rose from his bed, and silently sat near the bars facing Hopesong. Hopesong smiled at him, but a thought made her frown. "Why does everyone treat you like a monster? You're so nice ya you don't talk much, but that doesn't make you evil. " she looked up at him as Catnap took his time to respond.

"People fear....what they don't understand....And treat others badly...If they are different..." He answered slowly, but the answer didn't satisfy Hopesong "Well I like that you're different, Uncle Catnap. You're the best listener, and you always help me improve my songs. I just wish Papa and the others gave you a chance..." her ears drooped, looking at her hands. She wanted so badly to show everyone that Catnap wasn't a monster, but it all fell in deaf ears.

"They are scared, but I'm not. You're one of us and such. I will include you in everything possible. Maybe then they won't be afraid of you anymore." She reached through the bars and patted his head gently, hearing soft purrs.

"Thank you....This place doesn't deserve someone as kind as you...." Catnap patted her back with his tail." One day....we will all be free... I promise, Hopesong." Hopesong chuckled and continued to gently pat his head."I have everything I could need right here, Uncle Catnap." The two talked quietly before returning to their respective rooms. Hopesong laid down next to Dogday, who continued his slow breathing. She sighed and snuggled close to him. "I wish you could see him the way I do, Papa.."

Trust that is built can easily be broken. All it takes is one lie.