Chapter 2 - Picking Your Poison

Varen scowled down at the newspaper in his hands. He always tended to read the newspapers when he had spare time. It always helped him get ideas for future schemes.

This time however, all it brought him were worries. Right on the front page, there was a picture of Marek with the title SOPISOC's greatest hero turns deserter. And under that was an interview with the leader of SOPISOC.

That bastard.

Varen found himself crumpling the newspaper a little as he glared at the man's face. One day, he would be the one to end him.

"Aw, babe," came Marek's voice, making Varen forget his anger immediately as he looked up at the man. "You're reading the paper? You're so old."

Varen huffed, but he couldn't manage to stay annoyed when Marek hugged him, kissing his cheek.

"They are writing about you," Varen said as he hugged back, throwing the newspaper at the table in front of him.

"When aren't they?" Marek mused, chuckling as he patted Varen's hair. Varen wanted to stay focused and serious, but it was so difficult when Marek....

Well, when Marek did basically anything. They'd lived together only for a couple of days, but Varen had never been less productive. And he was happy about it.

Love really did change people.

"This is serious, dear," Varen said, sighing. "Morrey is talking about you like you are a traitor."

Marek chuckled, but Varen could see him grimacing a little. "Well, not inaccurate."

Varen gritted his teeth. As if he didn't have enough of a reason to kill Morrey already.

"It's okay, baby," Marek said, kissing Varen sweetly. "I'm happy with my choice. I'd always choose you over anything else."

Varen rubbed the back of his neck, sighing. He had been wondering about that. Whether Marek was perhaps regretting his choice. So hearing that was exactly what he needed right now.

"I'm with my baby boy, and everything is wonderful," Marek said, hugging him tighter. "And I'm ready to become a supervillain! I know we've been taking a bit of a vacay, but I'm ready now if you are."

Varen nodded seriously. "Have you decided on a new alias for yourself?"

Marek pulled away, grinning at Varen though still keeping his hands on Varen's shoulders. "You think I was joking when I said I want my name to be Mr. Flame?"

Varen frowned, nodding slowly, which prompted Marek to snigger.

"No, I'm being serious. I can't be Fireman anymore. I like a good dumb name, but that's just way too much."

Varen shook his head fondly. "It always has been, to be fair. Firemen don't set things on fire."

"Exactly!" Marek nodded. "Hence Mr. Flame. Perfect. Short. Simple."

Varen rubbed his eyes. He truly loved this ridiculous man if he was willing to let this be. "Very well. If you think the media will accept it. Not to mention that some journalist somewhere will figure out it's you."

Marek pouted. "You think they'll just call me Fireman still? I guess it would fit better for my cool villain arc. But that would be so lame."

Varen got up to hug him. Anyone who dared ruin his beloved's excitement would die. "It would, yes. I will pull some strings, if I must. You shall be Fireman no more."

"Aw, babe," Marek cooed, hugging Varen tight and spinning him. "You're so cool. My coolest little man."

Varen gasped at being spun, then huffed. "I am not little. You are just needlessly tall." That did nothing to stop Marek from cradling him. Not that Varen wanted it to stop. "I will be meeting the other Undertakers later today. We need to select an outfit for you so you can join without them seeing your face." Varen smiled a bit. "Besides, I know you're itching to get a supervillain outfit."