Chapter 9 - Revelations

Varen hated everything. He would have preferred to being tortured to death. Instead, his father had decided to try to have a conversation.

As if he'd not made it perfectly clear ten years ago what he thought about Varen. It was far too late now to talk about anything at this point.

Varen angrily tugged on the cuffs holding him bound to the kitchen chair. He was alone with his father right now. The perfect opportunity to kill him at least. And yet he was stuck in place, forced to hear him yep.

"Son, it doesn't have to be this way," Morrey said, having the audacity to look concerned at Varen's struggling as he stood over him, leaning against the kitchen table. Varen's wrists stung, but he didn't let that stop him from trying to get free.

"You made sure it had to. You did," Varen growled. "There is nothing to talk about. I won't tell you anything."

Morrey sighed sadly. "You were not meant to find out."

Varen choked a bit, genuinely shocked at Morrey was actually trying to even say anything about what he'd done. "You killed her! Me finding out has nothing to do with anything. How do you live with yourself?"

"I didn't," Morrey said, his voice just as sad as his eyes. Varen yearned to choke him to death. "Those thugs did."

"They weren't thugs! You forced them. Do not dare to talk about them like they were random," Varen snapped. "And now you are doing it again. How many people have died from your fake supervillains? How many are being forced to do it?"

Morrey set his jaw. "I do what I must for the greater good. It's not always easy. If SOPISOC's position is threatened or questioned, it may lead to its demise. And SOPISOC is the only thing standing between the Undertakers and innocents. Life and death."

Varen snorted, just so done with this conversation. He yearned to get shot. "So to protect the peace you endanger it? Right. You're just as bad as the Undertakers."

"I disagree, son," Morrey said, narrowing his eyes a bit. "I do things for the betterment of society. You only destroy for selfish reasons."

Varen scowled. At this point he wanted to bite his father if that was all he could do. Unfortunately, Morrey was too far away. "At least it's honest. We don't pretend. You're too self-righteous to even fucking recognize that killing your wife was a bad idea!"

Morrey gritted his teeth, looking away. "You weren't listening. You needed to see why being a superhero is important. And instead you sullied her memory by betraying me."

Varen stared at him, in utter disbelief about just how much audacity Morrey had to blame the situation on him. To twist this around. Varen couldn't speak for a moment.

"But I...despite all you've done, we are still family. There is still time to do the right thing and repent."

Varen sputtered, jerking in his restraints. He wanted to rip the bastard's heart out of his chest with his hands. "When did I ever imply that I want this? I never wanted to be a SOPISOC superhero! You forced it onto me."

Morrey shook his head, looking disappointed. "I would have thought you'd have outgrown your rebellious phase."

Varen glared daggers at him. "It's stronger than ever. Either kill me, or I kill you. Your choice."

Morrey sighed, sitting down. He was silent for a moment, just thinking, before speaking once more. "I have no interest in killing you. I want us to be together again."

Varen scowled hard, his hands balled into fists. His wrists were bleeding now. "You should have thought of that before killing my mother."

"She would not have died if you had simply done the right thing. Instead you chose to be selfish," Morrey said, shaking his head. "Having powers means making sacrifices to protect those who cannot protect themselves. And instead you did the exact opposite and turned into a villain."