Chapter 8 - Finding Him

Marek had never thought he'd be this nervous while in the SOPISOC HQ. It was like that time he stole all that food from the kitchen. Thankfully no one had caught him then. Hopefully they wouldn't today either because the consequences would be a hell of a lot worse.

"I really hope my baby bro doesn't get in trouble," Aira said quietly, sighing as they reached the archive. Marek patted her shoulder.

"My baby will protect him."

Aira looked at him, nodding slowly. "You...you really believe that. And...I think I do too. He doesn't seem so bad anymore."

"He's not," Marek confirmed, opening the door and stepping in. There were so many shelves full of boxes of papers that it made Marek want to cry just looking at it. He'd say this was like looking for a needle in a haystack, but that didn't cover it.

"I was just worried about you, Mar," said Aira once they closed the door. "I still am. I don't...I don't know. I thought he did something to you to make you like him."

Marek grinned. "Yeah, he sure did something. Stole my heart."

Aira snorted, covering her mouth. "Idiot."

Marek beamed more. It was so nice to be jokey with Aira again. He'd missed her a lot.

"What I'm saying is he...seems okay. But why is he an Undertaker then? I thought they were all bastards. Kinda a job requirement," Aira said, shaking her head.

Marek sighed sadly. "I think he just has nowhere else to go. I mean think about it. I joined them because what else could I do?"

Aira frowned as she thought about it. "I mean...you could have just not picked a side, right?"

Marek frowned, thinking that through. How would that even work. "I don't know. Is that an option? How would that even work? Would I just fight against everyone?"

Aira shrugged. "I don't know. I'm just thinking. I've not been all that happy at SOPISOC lately either. But I wouldn't have joined the other side."

Marek grimaced, shrugging helplessly. "But what then? You quit SOPISOC and then what? Just...hang out until you starve to death? Or get a normal job?"

He shuddered just thinking about it. He was not meant for a desk job. Or customer service. He'd set someone on fire for being annoying.

Aira hummed as she started looking through the boxes, checking the labels on them. But Marek knew her well enough to know when she was focused. And right now she wasn't focused.

"Well?" he said, prompting her to sigh.

"I don't know, Mar. There has to be something else to do."

Marek chuckled. "Well, tell you what. We can figure it out after this. Together, huh?"

Aira smiled at him, her gaze turning soft as she went and hugged him. Marek hugged back immediately, closing his eyes for a moment.

"I'm so happy you're okay, Mar. Despite everything. I'm sorry I wasn't a good enough friend to make you think you had to run away without explaining."

Marek shook his head, squeezing her closer. "No, no, hey, that's not...it's not you, Air. I was just...worried you wouldn't like me anymore if you knew." He heaved a sigh, annoyed with himself. "I don't think there's anything you could have done to assure me otherwise." He smiled sadly. "I'm a dumdum."

Aira pulled away, smiling fondly, tears in her eyes. "You're my dumdum."

Marek beamed as Aira petted his head. He couldn't help but bearhug her and spin her around.