Chapter 4 - Chasing Shadows

Varen had expected something to happen in response to him rescuing Marek from being taken back to SOPISOC, especially now that the information about him changing sides became public.

Marek's former friends had gone on record claiming that they'd not leaked this information, but Varen didn't believe them. Not that he would say it in front of Marek. He didn't wish to upset him.

However, what had been happening these last few months could not be described as anything other than a crime spree. Anything from petty theft and harassment of civilians to kidnapping for ransom, and the Undertakers were being readily blamed for all of it.

From Varen's investigations, he'd put together quite a lot of interesting information, but none of it had helped him figure out who was behind this.

Masked, powered people had been behind all of the recent trouble, but none of them looked familiar from what Varen had seen. But of course, the fact that they weren't affiliated with the Undertakers was not a fact the media or SOPISOC cared about.

The villains who had been captured had even supposedly claimed to be Undertakers, when they most definitely were not. The Undertakers were a much more exclusive organization than the public thought, thank you very much.

"You're so sexy when you're so determined," Marek said, grinning at Varen from the passenger seat. They were heading to a recent sight of one of the crimes. Varen hoped he'd find some clues.

Varen huffed even though he found it charming whether he liked it or not. "This is important."

"Is it though?" Marek frowned. "I mean, okay, there's new bad guys who are causing chaos, SOPISOC is handling it. Doesn't seem like a big problem for us, right?"

Varen paused. He'd actually forgotten to explain what he thought was happening here to Marek in all his researching frenzy. "Because I think this is someone's scheme."

Marek hummed. "Aside from the people doing the super crimes you mean?"

Varen nodded. "This is far too specific. Think about it. A random, new group of supervillains appears, claiming that they are associated with a group they have no ties to, and who profits from this? Who is getting positive press?"

Marek frowned. Varen could practically see his brain thinking. "SOPISOC? Wait."

Varen nodded. "Exactly. They have been facing quite a bit of criticism lately after you left."

Marek gaped at him. "And you think SOPISOC would hire people to...what? Distract from the situation?"

Varen nodded grimly. "I've seen discourse about whether SOPISOC does more harm then good. Especially since their great hero fell to the dark side as the media loves to talk about it. This would help them protect their image."

Marek said nothing, but the look in his eyes told Varen enough.

"It's okay to be upset. But they've always been like this," he added, trying to sound gentle as he patted Marek's shoulder.

Marek shook his head. "Okay, I know that the leadership is kinda corrupt—they always are—but this is a bit much, right? And surely if it was true, my friends would tell me. Or leave. They wouldn't stay."

Varen didn't comment about Marek's friends. He was refusing to think about them in general because every time he got very angry. How dare they kidnap him?

"They might not know," Varen pointed out flatly, clenching his fists around the steering wheel. "In fact, I'm certain they do not. Why would Morrey tell such things to his underlings?"

Marek studied him for a moment. Varen only then realized how he'd growled that last sentence.

"What did Morrey do to you, babe?" Marek asked gently, but Varen just shook his head.