Chapter 5 - An Uneasy Alliance

Feeling the space around them, it didn't take Marek long to identify electrical burns around the charred museum walls. And he didn't like that at all because he didn't think the supervillains who had gotten blamed for this had fire powers.

Marek risked a glance at Varen who was inspecting the floor crouched. There was a lot of water around, which Marek had immediately assumed was from firemen putting out the flames, but if Aira had been here, then Nerry had probably been involved too. They didn't tend to separate ever.

"I am starting to doubt this fire was started by evildoers," Varen said flatly as he stood up again. He was always so sexy when investigating, or fighting, or anything really. The way he held himself just was attractive in general. But right now Marek just felt dread.

"Don't even say it," Marek sighed, hanging his head.

"I'm sorry, Mar, but we need to talk to them. If they weren't involved, surely they will know who was. And more about these incidents."

Marek sighed again, nodding. "Yeah, I know. I just...hate all of this." He shook his head, trying to push his feelings away. "Is Flesheater gonna be okay with us talking to them?"

Varen gave him a look. "He doesn't need to know. Not until we learn something useful."

Marek raised an eyebrow, surprised that Varen is so ready to go behind their boss's back. And impressed. "Oh. You bad boy."

Varen snorted. "Indeed. I am hoping that you can talk your friends into keeping this to themselves."

The words were followed by a meaningful look. Marek nodded. Varen was no doubt counting on him to talk his friends into not snitching on them if this went wrong somehow. But Marek would have done that anyway.

He knew Varen didn't trust Aira and Nerry, and them kidnapping Marek certainly hadn't helped with this, but they were good people. If something iffy was going on here, and if SOPISOC was involved, they would care.

"Right, we done here then?" Marek looked around, sighing when he once again surveyed all the destruction. What a horrible shame. But there was nothing to be done about that. He just hoped Varen wouldn't rub it in Aira's face too much.

"Yes," Varen nodded, scowling. "Do you have ideas on how to contact the dogooders?"

Varen always got so huffy when talking about the twins that Marek was starting to wonder if maybe Varen wasn't only angry with them for kidnapping him, but if he was also jealous of them. Varen was pretty possessive, not that Marek minded. It was sexy. But he couldn't help but find this possibility funny.

"Actually, yeah. I have Ai—I mean Boltstrike's phone number," Marek said, pulling out his phone.

Varen smiled fondly. Marek couldn't see his lips through the mask, of course, but he could tell by the way his eyes crinkled. "It is admirable that you protect their identities with so much determination. But I promise not to reveal their names to anyone."

Marek smiled, walking over to kiss Varen's temple. "Thanks, Varry. If it slips out, it slips out. I trust you."

Varen nodded. "Good. Then please do call Boltstrike. We need to talk to her."

Marek nodded, taking a deep breath before dialing Aira's phone number, hoping that she would pick up. If she didn't, he had no other ideas.

The phone kept ringing, time flowing so slowly as Marek's heart clenched with anxiety. But finally, eventually, Aira picked up.

"Why are you calling?"

Marek let out a breath, doing a little spin of victory at the fact that she at least picked up. It was a bit risky using his actual phone instead of the special one the Undertakers had given him for security reasons, but Marek had known Aira would have likely not picked that up at all.