Chapter 3 - Familiar Faces

Marek was excited. It was time for his first mission, and it was a solo one, to prove his abilities. He did miss Varen, and he hoped that they would team up regularly, but he could do one mission alone. It was fine.

It was supposed to be a robbery, specifically using his powers to melt through a safe and then grab whatever documents were inside. And not accidentally burn them. Varen was very clear about that.

Marek knew nothing about the documents or why the Undertakers wanted them, but the target was some rich bastard, so that was all fine with Marek.

He'd always hated protecting rich, evil people. But they paid well, so of course SOPISOC always handled their problems. He was really happy about the fact that the Undertakers targeted them.

Since the guy was away right now, getting in wasn't much of a problem. Marek didn't pay any attention to the alarm that started blaring as soon as he melted the lock off the fron door, swining it open. He would be out before the police could arrive.

The safe was supposed to be in the basement, and so he started searching around for a way down.

Unfortunately, despite actually looking at the building plans earlier, Marek found himself a bit lost, wandering the long corridors and endless turns.

Just as he finally found the right door, though, someone yelled behind him.

"Freeze!"

Marek wanted to keep running, or at least turn to fight them, but he knew very well who this was, the voice unmistakable, and it made him stop in his tracks. He couldn't let them her recognize him. Either of them.

His momentary hesitation was enough to ruin everything however as the next moment he cried out in pain, electricity running through his whole body, incapacitating him.

Marek groaned as he fell to the floor, trying to pull himself together fast enough to try to fight the twins off. He was sure Nerry was around here somewhere too. Aira never fought alone.

Before he could recover, though, his arms were roughly pulled behind his back, cuffs locking onto his wrists.

Marek huffed as he felt the control of his powers lock away with it. He only liked the depowers when used on his enemies. Or himself, consentually.

He couldn't believe his first mission was a disaster already. His heart clenched when he thought about that. What if Flesheater kicked him off? Would Varen still want to be with him then? Would the Undertakers even let him?

He cringed as he was pulled up to sit, face to face with a glaring Aira. Even with her mask on, Marek could tell she was pissed beyond belief. And behind her stood Nerry, doing his usual puppy eyes, his lips drawn into a heartbroken little frown.

Goddammit.

"You're coming with us, Mr. Flame," Aira snarked, pulling Marek up and dragging him away, out of the house.

"Okay, okay, I know you're mad—"

"Mad doesn't even cover it, Mar," Aira huffed, continuing to drag him away. "How could you just leave?"

Marek grimaced. "Don't bring me back to SOPISOC."

Aira gave him a look disbelief. As if she was asking him if he was seriously making demands in this situation.

"Please?"

Aira sighed, dragging Marek outside. Marek looked over his shoulder at Nerry, who just puppy eyed him back.

Marek's heart clenched. He hadn't wanted to hurt his friends so much. He'd thought they'd just move on in time. And he'd just avoid fighting them. And being recognized.