Prolouge

"What was the biggest challenge in your life?"

"Level 4 English. I took the test four times before passing."

"Your ambition can be a little higher... Be a little more rational. The readers of my magazine are all students. Be mindful of your influence on them."

"Level 6 English. I don't even dare to enter the examination hall."

Listening to the Jennie's regretful rant about her university's Level 6 English, the person before her ran out of the patience and snapped, "Jennie, are you trying to pick a fight with me? Be careful or I'll exile you from the industry."

"... what I mean is that even if your English isn't good, it doesn't matter. Every path leads to success."

Jennie squatted in front of the TV cabinet, looking at the Blu-Ray discs inside.

Her friend Shen Wei Jue recently became obsessed with Blu-Rays but had no one to share her obsession with. Thus she mailed her Blu-Ray discs every week to convert her into an addict as well.It was true that the resolution looked better than in DVDs but unfortunately for her, that was all the advantage there was to it...

Liu Xia finally gave up and changed her question. "Why did you use the nickname Easily Fired Up?"

Jennie glanced at her. "You're not allowed to tease me for being sentimental... I once wrote this in my diary, 'If it's only a passerby in life, there's no need to be easily angered'. I thought it had a lot of feeling. I remembered it when I was coming up with a nickname so I used it."

"Why did you suddenly decided to write a novel?"

Why?

The reason was actually very simple in the beginning.

"I wanted to write about a person. He and I didn't have a good ending. I wanted for us to have sweet moments for once in the novel."

Liu Xia laughed. "It's probably your first love?"

Jennie dared not offend her so she explained, "Yes, it's first love, also online dating. Back then I was only in third year of high school, it was definitely a so-called puppy love. In the first place I have almost forgotten about it but in the past two years, I would sometimes see him on the news. That was where I got my inspiration from."Feeling uneasy, she added, "Don't ask who."

"Online dating? Have you two met in person?"

"We never met even until we broke up. That's not right. I have seen him but he had not seen me," Jennie said, grinning. "Back then I wore braces. I was so ugly. How could I meet the person I like? We only did things like video-messaging or writing letters."

In her teenage mood, she often signed off with two names: Jennie, Taehyung.
Jennie, Taehyung. Put together, they meant a deep, sorrowful longing.

"How did the break-up happened?"

"How else could it happen? My mom found out. She cut off the Internet line and the phone was off-limits. So I was made to disappear." The hidden risk of a puppy love... Of course it was due to parents' disapproval. She sighed, concluding, "After the one-year ban, I can no longer find him anywhere."

"I understand," Liu Xia said, nodding. "Basically he thought he was cruelly and mercilessly dumped. Not only did you break up, you also had to be the scapegoat. What a pitiful child." Liu Xia thought for a moment; she suddenly remembered that she deviated from the actual question. "Then what did that had to do with your novel Set Fire?"
Jennie drained the tea, not saying anything.

"It couldn't really be that melodramatic, could it?" Liu Xia quickly connected the dots between the setting of the novel and understood. "Many years later you found out that the guy who was your first love, your online boyfriend, and your puppy love joined the entertainment industry? An artist?"