5

“You just reached?”

Because it was too sudden, she didn’t seemed to have the intention to invite him in.

He stood there a little awkwardly. With a small but clear voice, he said, “When you called, I just reached my own apartment. So I decided to come over.” After finishing his sentence, he noticed Jennie was still just staring at him. He gently lifted his chin, hinting for her to invite him in first…

It was only then that Jennie realized, she quickly jumped aside to let him in.

“I took Sprite to the pet store to wash up a few days ago, I think they didn’t blow dry him,” she said. Since the owner was already here, she might as well honestly admit all her wrongdoings. “Coincidentally I’m quite busy these few days, I didn’t expect there to be a problem today.”

Sprite was very cooperative. He even coughed a few times to illustrate the point, causing her embarrassment to deepen.

Taehyung sat down on the sofa. “It’s fine. Once autumn comes, he would always get sick. I’m already used to it.” “It’s a recurring illness?” Jennie thought of her cat Cola. “My cat is also the same, she would also get sick quite often. But it’s because when I first brought her home, she was heavily injured. It’s leftovers from that time.”

While sipping water, Taehyung repeated her words, “Heavily injured?”

Jennie made an “en” sound and carried Cola that was purring and rubbing her face against her leg. “One of my friends is a reporter. Last year she did a report on animal abuse, I accompanied her to her interview. In the pet store, someone showed us a cat that had most of her bones fractured. They said she was incurable.”

Cola’s eyes fluttered, contently lying in her arms, looking satisfied and adorable.

She was completely different from the first time Jennie saw her.

“My friend was taking photos of her, her eyes were watery as if she was crying. I pitied her so I brought her home. I ended up spending around seven to eight thousand, took care of her for a few months before she can be considered alive and well.”

Taehyung quietly watched the cat that was quite obviously spoiled rotten by her owner, before looking at her. Jennie was going to complain about the animal shelter that allowed such abuse to happen, but upon seeing the way he gazed at her, she immediately gave in and concluded the story. “So please forgive her if she gets frightened. I suspect that she was treated badly to the point that she had no sense of security. She is much better now. In the beginning she would freak out if anyone but I came near, it was really scary.”

Back then, she didn’t know how many bedsheets were sacrificed…

He put down his cup on the coffee table. Looking away, he said this as if he was talking to himself. “There are some parts of you that didn’t seem to have changed.”

She laughed without amusement. She didn’t dare to continue that conversation.

One single man and one single woman, at one in the morning, how could it be that when they were merely discussing about their pets, it felt so ambiguous.

Jennie didn’t know when he was leaving but was too embarrassed to ask outright. There was a part of her that wanted to ask if he wanted to watch a DVD with her but asking that at such a late hour seemed unreasonable…

After much contemplation, she tried to probe him. “You just got off the plane, do you want to eat something?”

Taehyung knitted his eyebrows out of habit. “I think I’m a little hungry.”