8

His tone was casual and indifferent but when each word travelled into her ears, it made her silent for a long time. She lowered her head, pouring a cup of steaming hot ginger coke for him. “Yes, extremely regretful.”

She could not decipher what was real and what was fake in his words, yet she used a joking manner to admit the honest truth.

After admitting as such, she immediately turned around to pour herself a cup.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Taehyung staring at her intently. The courage and calmness from a moment ago all but disappeared. Even though the warmth from the cup was hurting her fingers, yet she actually didn’t move. She was afraid he was going to bring up more things from their past, she could only stare blankly at the slices of ginger floating in the cup.

The wall lights in the pantry were turned on year round, but under such circumstances, it actually highlighted how ambiguously romantic the atmosphere was…

Before her heartbeat could race uncontrollably, she heard the voice of the cleaner ah yi. She seemed to be asking if there was anyone left in the company. Having found her saviour, she quickly called out, “Here, there’s still someone in the pantry.”

In a moment, the old ah yi’s head popped in to look. Laughing, she said, “It’s Director Taehyung and scriptwriter?” Having said that, she turned on the main lights. “Why are you still here? Luckily I came in to look around, if not you two will end up getting locked in.”

Taehyung smiled lightly. “We’re discussing the script.”

That night when they left, Jennie said she was taking the taxi. Seeing her insistence, Taehyung also didn’t say anything.

Only when the script was almost finished, did Li Xiao Qing brought up the issue of actors.

Honestly, most of the roles were already pre-determined. It was only the second male lead that was not nailed down. The character had paranoia, someone who carried the burden of the world upon his shoulders, yet had endless love for the female lead, a very standard character. Yet it was this never-changing character trope that would make its actor famous.

Li Xiao Qing wanted to use her company’s new actor but the company that invested wanted the rising star Shen Zhe. Taehyung didn’t comment.

That night, when they were having dinner at Namnan Pavillion, while eating the fragrant foie gras,  she made clear her opinion after much thought: “I want to use Shen Zhe, he’s very suitable for period dramas. Just look at how he acted in Lan Rong Ruo…”

A childlike staff immediately agreed, “That’s right, that’s right, it’s a total classic.” The other women who was holding bamboo skewers, about to barbeque the meat, also nodded their agreement.

Shen Zhe rose to fame thanks to period dramas, his model-like looks paired with his feathered fan and silk threads had long won over the hearts of young girls everywhere. If not because of their big boss insisted on supporting their company’s own actors, the ladies would have already demanded for him ages ago.

Taehyung smiled a little but said nothing.

He merely played with his lighter, listening to the others’ passionate discussion.

The director’s assistant pushed over a plate of green pepper. With a knowing glance, she pressured Jennie to do her duty as a fellow woman.

That look made Jennie guilty. When she advocated for Shen Zhe, she really did it because she thought he was suitable for the role, completely unlike these biased women…