9

Throughout their conversation, Sprite sat on the floor, occasionally looking at Jennie, occasionally looking at Taehyung.

Jennie repeatedly dried her hair with the towel while watching Taehyung out of her eye. He started changing the bedsheets with quick and expert hands. The moment he finished, the dog immediately jumped on the bed. Turning around, he quickly added a few creases in the bedsheet.

He was an enemy’s dog, indeed.

Jennie wanted to laugh but dared not to. She kept on using the towel to wipe her hair.

Seeing no reaction from her, Sprite bit down on one of her slippers and immediately wriggled underneath Taehyung's quilt…

Left shoeless on one foot, she looked at the bulging quilt with a look of bewilderment.

“Sprite,” Taehyung called, flipping the quilt. He gently patted the dog.

Sprite’s whiskers lightly twitched.

Jennie subconsciously placed her shoeless foot behind her, feeling an inexplicable sorrow.

She hadn’t even been in his room for more than five minutes, she had already used his towel to dry her hair, had her slippers underneath his quilt. Luckily it’s not her own dog’s doing, if not it would look like she was plotting to get in his bed…

Because of her own status, she didn’t dare to flip the quilt herself, she simply waited for him to act.

Thankfully Taehyung didn’t seem to find it awkward, very quickly he chased away Sprite from the bed and got her slipper. He placed it next to her feet. “He didn’t used to have such a habit. I think he just got overexcited over your presence.”

She made an “oh” sound, she didn’t know what else to say. In the end she just kept quiet.

Taehyung was just in front of her, she didn’t dare to put down her leg to wear the slipper. Without any other options, she leaned down to grab the slipper. To her surprise, he also extended his hand at the same time and slipped the slipper on for her.

He did it so casually, as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

In the dead of the night, he was even sitting in front of her. She felt her feelings stir.

For a long moment, she was quiet before finally asking, “Then I’ll go to sleep?”

Taehyung nodded and turned off the lights for her.

She climbed onto the bed, wrapping herself tightly with the quilt, yet she was unable to sleep.

The pin-drop silence in the room was unbearable. Other than the meager light from the window, the entire room was submerged in darkness.

What kind of ridiculous reunion was this, without preparation of any kind she was forced step by step to re-familiarise herself with a person she once liked so many years ago… the most ridiculous part was, at this moment the both of them were actually sleeping in the same room.

She tried hard to fall asleep for almost half an hour, she didn’t even dare to turn around, but her eyes refused to shut and her mind was still awake.

“Can I ask you a question?”

His voice answered, “Just ask.”

“When you first saw me,” she said, eyes focused on his reflection on the window, “you saw me in real life, did you feel disappointed? I don’t mean anything, I’m just curious.”