The Suit

I walked through the cool air conditioned reception room, most people barely noticed me as I weaved silently through the crowds. I caught a set of eyes on me, looking over I saw Guy glaring at me. Guy was tall and slim and could have been a model. He didn't mince words and he obviously thought the world of himself. I shrugged it off and smiled as I continued on to my desk; pulling up my chair ready for another exciting day.

I was working as an assistant at a convention; my job was to make sure people knew where they had to be and when they had to be there as well as your run of the mill gopher duties. It wasn't a very glamorous job but I was happy to have it.  People didn't care who I was, but the assistant manager helped me pass my time.

The convention was all about banking and accounting and stuff we didn't understand. Robbie was one of the partners and an assistant manager at a promotional company called Bloated Muscle Events and regularly helped run these sorts of things.  For me it was my first time and maybe the last depending on how things went.

The overall boss was James, who ran the company. He had started the company with his father’s backing along with Rob and another buddy from college.  The three men had met in the weight room … thus the name of the company: Bloated Muscle.  All three were well built though of the three: Robbie was the biggest.  Even in a business suit the man looked like a hulk as his special made suit coats took a lot of material to encompass his thick upper body while excess material draped loosely around his tight waist. James and the other partner Greg weren’t any less serious about their bodybuilding hobby but at least in business clothes their over muscled builds were easily masked.  The guys were fun to work for and seemed to enjoy their work as if it was a great adventure.   James was pretty laid back. On the other hand Guy, the client was pretty uptight and wanted everything to be perfect.  He didn't mind who he upset to make it that way.  He was good for a melt down or two each day.

I first met the three partners at the interview. The minute I walked in the door and saw the three good looking muscled jocks, I knew I had no chance.  These guys looked like the kind of studs who used to bully me growing up.  After several minutes of talking, my impression changed.  The guys were really decent and almost immediately put me at ease.  At that moment I realized just how badly I wanted the job.  Here I was just out of college a shy slightly over weight man who for all practical appearances had nothing in common with the three jovial studs seated around the conference table but yet there was a certain vibe that maybe we all played for the same team after all.  I might have been wrong or was just wishful thinking on my part but it hooked me. I was trying to impress James, but I couldn't help looking at Rob. Drawing my eyes back to James as he asked about my experience, I bullshitted my way through. Greg the third partner would pop in from time to time with a question or a comment. 

As we stood up once the interview was finished, my eyes were drawn to Robbie as he stood up from behind the conference table revealing his muscular body and confident smile.  Huge muscle and handsome as hell – Rob had the perfect combination for me.  The polo shirt and khakis he wore only emphasized how jacked his thick body was.  His eyes seemed to study me intently and I worried that the borrowed and ill fitted suit I wore only showed off how out of shape and bloated I’d gotten while in college.  I had run track in school and was on the wrestling team for a few years before I dropped it about the time I got my driver’s license.  I had once been in good shape – not in these studs’s kind of shape but good shape.  College beer parties and pizza runs had taken a toll.  One of my buddies had once said I had that jock gone to seed look which I liked and for what it was worth sort of hung on to as my body type label as I watched my body continue to change in the mirror as I finished my degree .  After several years without so much as walking through the door of a gym; to be honest I’d have to say I favored the gone to seed much more than jock part these days.  My belly had begun to hang over my belt and my once muscled thighs and bubbled ass had softened and grown until I thought it looked like I was sort of pear shaped.  The guys in my family always had thick arms and chest.  When I was in shape I was no exception and people liked to comment about how my chest stood out under t-shirts and stuff and how thick my arms were but then I had a thirty inch waist at the time also.  That day of the interview the thought had crossed my mind that a job with these guys might be the motivation needed to get me back in the gym and maybe some free advice.