Birthday wish

146. The scale read 146. Jed stepped off the scale with a disgusted sigh. Most guys would have been pleased to make it through most of college without gaining an ounce, but Jed wasn’t most guys. He had discovered the concept of gaining back when he was 13, and he’d known immediately that he was a gainer at heart. But as school progressed, he was constantly faced with obstacles—his interest in gymnastics, his parents’ expectations, his on and off boyfriend who loved his slim, toned body. College was supposed to be the time when Jed grew into his true self. He’d be miles away from his parents’ admonitions to stick with gymnastics and his boyfriend who would surely move on within weeks of separation.

When Jed first moved into his dorm, he had reveled in the freedom to eat whatever he wanted and live however he wanted, but despite his lack of exercise, he never seemed to put on weight. Friends would talk about how jealous they were that he could eat plate after plate without getting fat, and he would just smile on the outside while brooding on the inside. Gradually he had gotten tired of trying to gain with no results, and he had started eating less. He still hoped that his weight would naturally increase due to his carefree lifestyle, but nothing really happened. His hard-earned abs, quads and deltoids gradually faded away, but if any fat replaced them, it was almost imperceptible.

Jed thought about all this as he dressed for the day. He put on skinny jeans that he had hoped would be too small by now and a form-fitting shirt that showed off his slim torso. By all outward appearances, he was completely confident in his appearance, and the smile that usually graced his angular face added to the impression, but really he was just very good at putting on a façade.

“Happy birthday!” Jed’s roommates said in unison as he walked into the living room. Quentin clapped Jed on the shoulder while Sam flipped bacon in a skillet.

“Since when do you cook?” Jed asked his slender roommate. Jed looked positively well-fed next to Sam. At the moment, Sam wore an apron over an otherwise bare torso. His designer jeans hugged his tiny waist, and his golden hair was immaculately styled.

“I love to cook, but I’m a broke college student,” Sam replied. “If I have to choose between spending money on clothes or food, I’m going to choose clothes. Anyway, we never seem to have real meals at this apartment, so I thought a good breakfast would be a good start to your 21st birthday.”

Jed checked the time on his phone. “I won’t have much time to eat it,” he lamented.

“Oh, come on,” Quentin said as he guided Jed to a chair. “Everyone knows you’re obsessively early. Taking ten minutes to eat bacon and eggs won’t mess up your day.”

The smell of bacon was permeating the room, and Jed had to admit that it was intoxicating. He couldn’t say no. Besides, this was the type of thing he had always dreamed of. He could imagine a big belly filling up his lap as Quentin and Sam hastily filled his plate with fatty treats. If only he had woken up earlier, he might have taken time to really indulge. As it was, he was grateful for the meal. Sam had done a great job, and Jed greedily devoured his meal before heading out the door. As Jed hurried out of the apartment, Sam called out, “If I had known how hungry you’d be, I would have made twice as much.” Jed smiled happily at the thought of greedily stuffing himself in front of his two roommates.

Most of the day was uneventful. Jed’s classes dragged on as he waited for evening when his real birthday celebration would start. At lunch, Jed felt empowered by his morning indulgence, and he made a point of eating a little more than normal. For dinner, he went out with some friends and bought his first ever legal glass of beer. Quentin insisted on paying for the meal, saying it was his birthday gift. Jed thought it was funny that both of his roommates’ gifts had related to food, although he doubted that they had noticed. After dinner, the plan was to head to Jed’s apartment for a while to pre-game before heading out to a bar and getting way too drunk. Quentin eagerly poured shots for Jed, and the birthday boy just couldn’t say no.