𝐕

Sally maneuvered the car to a stop at the entrance of Westover Hall

Thalia seized the opportunity for a "private" conversation with Percy and Annabeth, and by 'private', it meant conveniently located just ten feet away.

Selene and Sally, on the other hand, were leaning against the car door on the opposite side of the discussion. They exchanged glances, both seemingly listening to the conversation but pretending they weren't. Despite their attempts at whispering, their voices carried, and Selene couldn't help but overhear every word.

"Sooo..." Selene turned to Sally, "Poseidon, huh?" she raised one eyebrow at her.

"Alright. What do you want to know?"

Selene's eyes sparkled, "Is he like the portraits? I saw this book in Percy's bedroom..."

Sally chuckled, "I must say Percy resembles his father a lot."

"Oh no. Then it's nothing like the portraits..."

They both laughed, yet Annabeth's voice cut their conversation, "There's a reason why Tsiphone kneeled upon her! She's bad, bad news."

Selene didn't dare look back to see them, she could perfectly picture what was happening just by hearing their voices.

"She's not a threat; she's my friend," Percy insisted, his desperation evident despite his attempt to maintain a low tone. "Thalia, you spoke to her. She doesn't seem dangerous. Selene and I have been friends for months, and we even slept close to each other. If she wanted to harm me, she had the chance."

Annabeth's irritation with Percy was palpable, evident in the raspiness of her tone. "You don't find it suspicious how everything seems to connect her to you?" she queried, her voice low and intense. "Are you genuinely going to buy into the whole 'I'm just a dancer' and 'I'm clueless about Greek gods' act just because she's a girl? A Fury kneeled in her presence. Do you even realize who Furies work for?"

Selene felt the urge to intervene, to at least say, 'Hey, if you're going to discuss me, at least include me in the conversation.' However, she was already overwhelmed with everything transpiring, and the last thing she wanted was to be labeled a liar.  Sure, she'd lied before—skipping dance practice by pretending to be sick or claiming she took medication she'd forgotten. But those were trivial compared to lying about her very essence, her personality, who she is.

"I'm taking Percy to Montauk this summer. He wants to learn how to surf. We always stay at the same place every year," Sally began, attempting to ease the tension in the conversation. "Maybe you could come with us. I'm sure he wouldn't mind—"

"I won't be handcuffing her, Annabeth," Percy screamed, and everyone looked at him. Their eyes met before he shifted his gaze away. "I mean," he added, lowering his voice but still audible.