𝐗𝐗𝐈

It was the first time Selene saw Mount Olympus

In the early-morning darkness, torches and fires made the mountainside palaces glow twenty different colors, from bloodred to indigo. Apparently no one ever slept on Olympus. The twisting streets were full of demigods and nature spirits and minor godlings bustling about, riding chariots or sedan chairs carried by Cyclopes. Winter didn't seem to exist there. Selene caught the scent of the gardens in full bloom, jasmine and roses and even sweeter things she couldn't name. Music drifted up from many windows, the soft sounds of lyres and reed pipes.

Towering at the peak of the mountain was the greatest palace of all, the glowing white hall of the gods.

Artemis' chariot set them down in the outer courtyard, in front of huge silver gates. Before she could even think to knock, the gates opened by themselves.

And then, side by side, they walked into the throne room.

Twelve enormous thrones made a U around a central hearth, just like the placement of the cabins at Camp Half-Blood. The ceiling above glittered with constellations—even the newest one, Zoe the Huntress, making her way across the heavens with her bow drawn.

All of the seats were occupied, except for Artemis'. Each god and goddess was about fifteen feet tall. Selene widened her eyes, yet when she looked down, she wasn't far from them. In fact, Selene was the tallest among them, except for, maybe, Zeus.

She looked around at the assembled gods, meeting their faces individually. Zeus, the Lord of the Gods, wore a dark blue pinstriped suit. He sat on a simple throne of solid platinum. He had a well-trimmed beard, marbled gray and black like a storm cloud. His face was proud and handsome and grim, his eyes rainy gray. Next to him sat a beautiful woman with silver hair braided over one shoulder and a dress that shimmered colors like peacock feathers. It was probably the Queen of Olympus, Lady Hera.

On Zeus's right, Selene instantly recognized Poseidon. He had the same sea-blue eyes as Percy. Next to him, a huge lump of a man with a leg in a steel brace, a misshapen head, and a wild brown beard, fire flickering through his whiskers. The Lord of the Forges, Hephaestus.

Apollo leaned back in his golden throne with his shades on. He winked at Selene. For the first time, Dionysus didn't look bored. He actually was worried. And Ares, well, he sat on his chrome-and-leather throne, glowering at Selene while he sharpened a knife.

On the ladies' side of the throne room, a dark-haired goddess in green robes sat next to Hera on a throne woven of apple-tree branches. Demeter, Goddess of the Harvest. Next to her sat a beautiful gray-eyed woman in an elegant white dress. Athena. Then there was Aphrodite, who wickedly smiled at Selene.

"Hey y'all..." Selene awkwardly waved at them.

Artemis looked like she was about to face-slap.

She kneeled, "Father," she pointed at Selene, right beside her. "Lady Selene."