Chapter 1: "𝑁𝑜𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑊𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑆𝑒𝑒 𝑈𝑠."

THAT was a pretty nasty fall. Are you okay?” Coach asks as Vernon pulls himself out of the water.

“Yeah I’m fine.”

“Your shoulder had the most hit.” Laurence said worriedly as he passed him a towel.

“The sting will wear off in a few.”

“Nonsense!” Coach says. “Go to the nurse’s office. Get an ice pack or something.”

“I literally just came out of the water. I can go back inside and cool in there.”

Coach narrows his eyes at him. “Stop being stubborn and just get checked.”

“Yeah, why don’t you want to go? It’s not like you broke your shoulder or anything.”

“Never say that!” Coach scolds. “And you, Vernon go to the nurse office. I am telling you as your coach.”

“Yes sir.” He agrees knowing this conversation won’t go anywhere.

“Good. Now off you go.”

Vernon walks inside the locker room where he quickly changes into his uniform. Hanging a towel around his neck, he heads outside and makes his way to the nurse’s office.

“Name?” The nurse asks, a notepad in her hand.

“Vernon.”

“Your full name please.”

“Vernon Wilson.” He repeats, readjusting his position on the bed.

“Where did you injure yourself?”

“My shoulder took a hit when I dived into the water from a diving board.”

The nurse quickly writes down a note on her notepad. “Diving team?”

“Swimming.” He corrects.

“Why were you on a diving board when you’re a swimmer?”

“It was for exercise drills. The swim team and dive team had a conjoined practice today.”

“I see.” The nurse mumbles scribbling on the notepad before placing it back into her coat’s pocket.

The nurse pulls the curtain and leaves Vernon lying on the bed for a few seconds. Upon her return, she places an ice pack on his shoulder.

“It’s a bruise. Not a large one. But I understand your concern since you’re a swimmer. Do you need a note since home room has started?”

Vernon shakes his head. “Swimming students have been pardoned from home room for this week.”

“I see. Well just lie there for fifteen minutes then you can go okay?”

“Thank you so much.”

The nurse leaves Vernon and makes her way to her desk. She brings her flask up onto her lips only to be meant with the disappointment of it being empty. Deciding to quickly rush to the staff room for a quick refill, she exits the room leaving it unlocked for the boy with the ice pack on his shoulder.

About five minutes pass and Vernon is lying on the bed bored out of his mind. He had left his phone in his bag and had nothing to do until time was up for him to go.

Loud shuffling echoes fill the room prompting Vernon to lift his head. He realizes that someone had occupied the hospital bed next to him but couldn’t see who it was as all the curtains his side were drawn.

Suspicious sounds came from the bed next to him and Vernon couldn’t help but wonder what was going on.

“Shhh! You need to be quiet or someone will hear us.” A voice whispers.

“No one is here. No one is ever here.” Another responds.

Smacking of lips is heard and Vernon scrunches his nose in disgust. Didn’t people know that there was a time and place for everything? Why the nurse’s room?

Deciding to ignore the sounds, Vernon readjusted the object on his shoulder and attempts to muffle the sound out. Only, the people next to him were not like that. A hand abruptly grabs the rail for his curtain as the owner tried to balance themself. This caused Vernon’s curtain to open slightly, leaving him with enough space to see what was going on.

Turning his head to the opening, Vernon’s eyes are met with someone else’s. Black round eyes looked directly at him as a few braids rested on the person’s face. The girl he was looking at held a naughty smile on her lips as she sent a wink to Vernon who remained frozen. Putting a finger on her lips the girl motioned for Vernon to keep this a secret. With one final smile she draws the curtain, closing it for him.