Chapter 8: "𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑃𝑒𝑟𝑓𝑢𝑚𝑒 𝐷𝑜 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑈𝑠𝑒?"

WHAT do you think of this?” Laurence asks, spraying a bit of cologne on Vernon’s hand.

“It’s too strong,” Vernon responds, lowering his arm.

“What type of perfumes do you like then? We’ve tried five different ones and nothing.”

“I like soft-smelling ones.”

Laurence gives his friend a blank stare. “That makes zero sense.”

“You know, like lavender or clary sage.”

“Okay?” Laurence says, pretending to understand.

“When I find the right one you’ll understand.”
“We’ve searched the whole store. Let’s try another.”

Vernon nods his head in agreement. “Let’s go.”

“It only took four and a half hours to find what you needed.”

Vernon laughs at his friend. “It was worth it in the end.”

“I’m exhausted.” Laurence sighs, lowering himself to the nearest bench.

“Are you hungry?”

“Are you buying?”

Vernon nods.

Laurence shows a cheeky smile. “I could eat.”

~~~

Olivia is standing by the lockers with her friends surrounding her. She was currently waiting for her first class to start and was busy tapping about on her phone.

“Hey, isn’t that your friend?” One of her friends points out staring over her.

Olivia turns her head to see none other than Vernon approaching. Laurence was at his side, and the two were laughing, making Olivia wonder how she could make Vernon laugh with her.

“Hey, friend.” Olivia greets the moment Vernon arrived close enough to her.

“Hello, Olive.” He responds.

“Hi!” Laurence greets happily.

“Are you two headed to class?”

Vernon nods.

“Oh okay. I’ll see you two at lunch?”

“You're eating with us today?” Laurence asks.

“If you guys are comfortable with that.”

Laurence is kind of shocked at Olivia’s sudden switch in personality. Just several weeks ago, she had entered Vernon’s life uninvited, and here she was now, politely asking for her to join.

Laurence doesn’t respond but waits for his friend, to.

“If that’s what you want.”

“Great! See you both at lunch then.”

Vernon sends one single nod before going on his way to his class. Laurence trudges behind for a few seconds till he manages to catch up to his friend.

“Hasn’t Olivia changed a lot?” he asks, opening the classroom door.

“I guess so.” Vernon mumbles.

“What’s changed?”

Vernon shrugs in response.

Laurence tilts his head as he tries to wrap his thoughts. To be honest, Olivia’s sudden switch had scared Vernon, too. She had gone from a complete menace to a sudden sweetheart.

Something was wrong.

Definitely.

“Could she possibly like you?”