Chapter 7: "𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑆𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑂𝑓 𝐴 𝑁𝑒𝑤 𝐹𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑝."

Vernon enters the school premises wearing his school's jersey. He wasn't a fan of it. In fact, he hated it. It was so restrictive and hot, but he didn't have his blazer, so he had to suck it up. Upon arriving at the entrance doors, he sees Olivia pacing about waiting for him.

"Oh, Vernon you're here!" She beams.

"Uh yeah." He mumbles awkwardly.

"Here." She says, extending the brown bag that was in her hand.

Vernon takes the bag and glances inside it. His blazer.

"I had it dry cleaned the moment I reached home."

"I see." He responds, taking his blazer out of the bag.

Olivia watches as Vernon makes the necessary adjustments to his blazer. Despite having seen the boy plenty of times, today was the day she actually looked at him. Since when had Vernon been this good-looking?

Those broad shoulders...

His jawline...

His eyes...

His height...

And how his uniform perfectly fit his body.

Makes sense. He's an athlete. A swimmer at that.

Vernon is a good-looking guy.

Really good-looking.

Shaking her head to rid the thoughts, she looks up to the boy who had finished dressed.

"Thanks. It smells great."

Olivia smiles in response.

"How-how are you feeling?" He asks, concern in his tone. "Are you feeling alright?"

Olivia glances up to him, feeling shy all of a sudden. Had Vernon asked how she was feeling out of concern? Why does he even care?

"My sister has pretty bad pains. She has to be on the strongest painkillers to help. That's why I'm asking." He quickly explains.

"Ah." Olivia responds, nodding at the new info. "I'm fine. I had my meds with me."

Why did Vernon's simple concern make her heart flutter?

"Cool." He mumbles. "Will there be anything else?"

Olivia shakes her head no.

"Okay then...bye."

Vernon turns his body and begins to walk towards the doors. Reaching out for the handle, he hears Olivia call out for him. Vernon turns his head over his shoulder, only to see Olivia gesturing for him to return.

"Actually I-I wanted to apologize." She begins shocking him. "I shouldn't have acted so non-chalant at the principal's office. Things could have easily gotten out of hand. I'm sorry."

Was the Olivia Mitchell actually apologizing? Olivia herself never thought she would mutter an apology to anyone other than people she actually cares about.

Wait.

Does she care for Vernon?

Despite the questions in her head, she continues.

"You were right to be upset with me. I didn't know what was at stake for you. I didn't realize how much important swimming is to you. I didn't realize how much damage would fall on your shoulders if anything was to spread.

By the time Olivia was done Vernon's mouth had opened slightly. What the actual heck did he hear? Did Olivia just say all that. Why? How? When did she reach the revelation?

Vernon clears his throat. "I appreciate your apology."

Olivia let's out a small smile and digs into her blazer pocket. "And...here."

His bracelet.

"I kept this longer than I should have. This rightfully belongs to you so..."

"Thanks." Vernon mumbles as he takes his bracelet.

Smiling at his no longer naked wrist, he looks up to the girl, happiness dancing in his eyes.

Finally. Vernon had finally retrieved his bracelet. The bracelet he has been looking for just over three weeks ago then found out Olivia had it. She had put so much effort into not giving it back. Yet she's doing it willingly.

Olivia couldn't help but widen her smile when she saw how happy Vernon was. Something churned in her stomach, the more her mind registered his smile.

"I-I hope we can someday become friends." Olivia adds on bashfully. "Once you're comfortable with me, that is."

"I appreciate that, Olive."

Olivia's eyes widen at the use of her nickname. Vernon said yes. He said yes! Joy spread through her body. Why was she so happy that Vernon didn't reject her offer of friendship?

"I'll see you later." He says and walks away into the hallways.

Olivia's smile was wider than before. This is it. This was it.

The start of a new friendship.

~~~

Vote
Follow
And
Comment

Socials in bio!

See you March 10th