Chapter 12: "𝐼 𝐿𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑌𝑜𝑢."

"WELCOME to the Inter-High Swimming Competition Finals! Today, we will watch as Redding, King, and Eastpark High fight for first place. Swimmers, are you ready?"

Vernon is standing in a line, along with his other teammates, doing breathing exercises. Three minutes pass, and their coach signals for them to stop.

"This is it, team. The finals. I know you're all nervous, I can see it in your faces." He says a smile on his face.

"We've already made it this far. You should be proud of yourselves. View this day as an ordinary swimming gala. When you get into the water, do exactly what you have been training for. Don't panic. Just do your best."

"Yes, Coach!" The all yell in unison.

"Now next in the program will be the anticipated under nineteens freestyle. Redding High's Vernon Wilson, King High's Nelson Brown and Eastpark's High Daniel Cambridge will be battling for their school."

Vernon steps out of the shed, his nerves getting to him. Thankfully, everyone was seated a safe distance away from the pool. Otherwise, they could have probably seen him shaking in fear.

"Vernon looks nervous." Olivia says, glancing to her friend who nods in agreement.

"Well, I understand why." She responds. "He'll be fine Olive don't worry."

Vernon takes in a deep breath as he positions himself, waiting for the gun to go off.

Schools begin to yell their member's names as Olivia and her friends all rise to their feet cheering for Vernon.

Vernon didn't even need to look up as he could easily distinguish Olivia's voice from everyone else. Thinking back to how she believed him to win, Vernon felt even more determined.

The gun goes off, and Vernon dives into the water. Making sure he is steady, he begins to push through the water, occasionally pulling his head out to take in oxygen. Deciding against looking at what his rivals were doing, he focuses on his routine as he finds himself nearing the wall. Executing the turn perfectly, he starts his seconds lap.

The guns go off again, announcing all the swimmers had entered the last lap.

"Whoa, it seems Redding and King High are neck and neck. Who will win this match?"

Olivia bites her lip nervously as she watches King High overtaking Vernon.

Come on, Vernon, come on.

Clutching the bracelet that was secured around her wrist, she yelled out loudly to him.

"COME ON, VERNON, YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU'RE ALMOST THERE!"

Olivia doesn't know whether he heard her or not. All the prays for is for him to win. Knowing the amount of effort Vernon put, it's would be heartbreaking if he lost.

"We are almost at the finish line..."

Olivia's heart is beating out of her chest as she anxiously watches the two boys battle it off. A pair of hands touches the wall slightly quicker than the second pair. Taking a deep breath, she waits for the final score.

"Vernon Wilson, 73,4 seconds,

Nelson Brown, 74,2 seconds,

Daniel Cambridge, 74, 8 seconds."

Olivia finds herself screaming at the top of her lungs as she and her friend hug each other. Vernon had done it. He had won!

She smiles, and she watches Vernon yell with his teammates rushing over to him congratulating him.