Chapter 6: "𝑇𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑀𝑦 𝐵𝑙𝑎𝑧𝑒𝑟."

THREE days later and Vernon hadn’t managed to retrieve his bracelet. His worry on finding it had subsided enough for Vernon to try to tolerate Olivia as much as he can and go back to acting as if she doesn’t exist after getting his jewelry back.

“Oh crap.” Olivia whispers, feeling a damp spot behind her skirt.

Was it time already? That dreadful had already started two days earlier than intended. Olivia glances about the hallway, her back glued to the wall. She didn’t need anyone else to see the red spot on her back. Her friends were nowhere in sight as they had classes of their own due to different schedules. Her phone was in her locker, so she couldn’t even call for help.

Caught in her worry, Olivia manages to stumble out Vernon’s name as he had just happened to pass by on his way to his own class.

“What is it?” Vernon asks, sighing impatiently, his arms crossed.

Olivia stares at the ground, wondering why she had actually called him. Did she expect him to help? And why? Why would he? She knows Vernon dislikes her with every bone in his body. He has every reason to. Yet Olivia has never felt bad for treating someone badly. Never felt bad for angering anyone. Yet why does Vernon’s dislike towards her push her to him even more. Why does his dislike towards her almost bother her into wanting to fix it?

“I Uhm.” She stumbles, trying to find something to say.

Vernon glances to her lower abdomen and realizes her stance. Arms back, holding the back of her skirt with the rest of your posture slouched back completely glued to the wall.

“Olivia are you alright?” He asks, genuine concern in his voice.

Olivia shakes her head, no feeling embarrassed slowly creep in.

“My skirt. It’s- it’s spoiled.”

Vernon understood the whole sentence completely. He had pretty much figured it out before she admitted it.

No saying a word, Vernon removes his blazer from his shoulder. Walking towards the girl, he lowers his eyes to her waist and wraps the blazer around it. Happy with the firm double knot at the front, he takes a step back.

Olivia’s eyes were slightly widened at the gesture. She hadn’t expected Vernon to do that. Despite his negative feelings towards her, he still did something to help her. Why? Why would he do that? To make her feel bad? To guilt her into returning his bracelet? Is that what it was?

“You can use that till you can change or reach home. It’s up to you.”

“My tracksuit it at the P.E lockers. I’ll change into that.”

Vernon nods. “Okay.”

“I’ll return your blazer tomorrow. I’ll make sure it’s washed.”

Vernon nods once again.

“You need to get to class. You’re over five minutes late. I’m sure the teacher will understand.”

Olivia glances up to him. “What about you? Won’t you get in trouble?”

“No. I have it covered.” He confirms. “Get to class.”

With one final nod, Vernon turns his back and walks to his class, leaving Olivia to scurry about and make her way to her own class.

~~~

“That’s not your blazer.” Olivia’s friend points out, noticing the clothing around her hand.

“Why do you have two blazers?” Another asks.

“Someone helped me during classes. My period cane early, and I pretty much froze in the hallways.”

“Who helped you? Was it a boy?”

Olivia nods slowly.

“Really!” The girl before explains. “He willingly gave you his blazer? That’s so sweet of him.”

Sweet wasn’t the word to describe Vernon. Then again, Olivia had never met Vernon’s other emotions other than anger and frustration. Was Vernon truly a sweet guy?

“Does he like you?” Her friend chirps in locking her arm around Olivia’s.

“No. I don’t think so.”

“No ways!” She exclaims. “He has to like you!”

“Nah.” Olivia denies more surely. “He feels a lot for me, but I promise you, like isn’t one of them.”

~~~

“Dude where’s your blazer?” Laurence asks, placing his plate of food in front of his friend.

“I gave it to someone. They had an emergency.”

“Ok.” Laurence asks, not wanting to question anything more.

“Did you manage to get your bracelet from that girl.”

Vernon shakes his head no.

“Why isn’t she giving it back to you? You already claimed it to be yours.”

“To have a hold onto me, I guess.”

“But why?”

“I don’t know.” Vernon mumbles, taking a bite of his wrap.