Chapter 16: "𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝐵𝑎𝑏𝑦!"

OLIVIA stands uninterested as she pushes back a loose braid. Here she was, dressed in a gorgeous maroon dress, looking as pretty as ever. Yet, she couldn't find the strength in her to actually have fun.

Time moved like a blur after Vernon's departure. Her habit of watching in the hallways had stopped as the man was gone. Still, she found herself watching the swim team. Only the person that interested her was gone.

She puts down her punch, no longer liking the sweetness. She lets out a small smile as her friends attempt to make her dance along, and once again, she can't do it.

"Come on, Olivia! Just move your body!" One urges as she shimmies in her direction.

"It's prom baby!" A student yells, making the rest join.

Olivia lets out a deep sigh, as exhaustion begins to hit her. Mumbling to her friends that she was going to take a seat, Olivia navigates herself out of the crowd. Succeeding, she starts to make her way to a table only to stop in her tracks.

Am I seeing things?

There, he stood at a corner table smiling at his friend.

Vernon was here.

Dressed in a black suit with no tie, he had a white flower in his pocket, a glass of juice in his hands.

He looked amazing.

Vernon's eyes glance to her direction, and his eyes stop upon seeing Olivia. Immediately pulling back, Vernon refocused back onto his friend, who thankfully hadn't noticed.

"Vernon, Laurence, you came!" A guy yells before walking in their direction.

Olivia recognized the guy to be one of the swim team members. She watches as Vernon greets him, a wide smile on his face. Olivia feels something in her heart go off.

Suddenly, she didn't feel like sitting anymore and went back to her friends.

~~~
Hours pass, and the dance is still in full spring. Having denied alcohol in fear of doing something she knew she would regret the next day, she spent the night nursing her punch.

Suddenly, the DJ switches to a slow dance, and people start going into couples. Olivia's eyes roam across the room, trying to locate Vernon.

"He left." She hears her friend say.

"When?"

"A while ago. I think he's still here." She responds, a knowing smile on her face.

"You like him, don't you?" Another starts elbowing her. "Go after him."

Olivia stands still, not knowing what to think.

"Olivia, stop thinking!" She whispers loudly. "You admitted it yourself that you like him. What's stopping you?"

"What if he doesn't want to see me?" She asks sadly.

"That won't stop you. Say what you want to say, right?"

Olivia stays silent for a second before a determined look reaches her face. Rushing out of the room, she starts her search for the boy who stole her heart.

How could she be stupid. Denying a guy like Vernon. Olivia hates herself for saying what she said. For causing the damage she caused. Vernon might not forgive her, nor does she expect him to. But at least she should apologize.

Ten minutes pass with no sign of the boy. Stopping, she takes in a deep breath as she thinks of where he could be.

Olivia glances up and sees a silhouette disappear, and before her brain registers it, she yells out his name.

Rushing to his direction, she finds the boy waiting for her, the moonlight hitting his face.

"I thought you left." She says put of breath.

Vernon doesn't say anything as he watches her try to catch her breath. Upon doing so, she straightens up and looks directly into his eyes.

"I'm sorry." She starts. "I should have never said all those to you. No excuse will be enough for my behavior. I couldn't apologize last time, and I didn't want it to happen a second time. I'm really sorry, Vernon. You, of all people, do not deserve to be hurt."

Olivia continues staring in his eyes, waiting for him to respond. A small smile makes his way on his lips.

"I forgive you."

It feels as if a weight has been lifted off her shoulder as she smiles gratefully at him. Despite his nature, Vernon was easily one of the kindest people to exist.

"When you told me you liked me. I was surprised. I didn't know how to react or what to say, so I just..." she trails off. "Then I blew up at you because I couldn't decipher my own feelings. That was stupid of me. I'm sorry."

"I just want you to know, albeit late, that you shouldn't be ashamed of your feelings. I should have never tried to dictate what you felt. I'm sorry."

"Olivia, it's okay. Stop apologizing."

Olivia finally breaks eye contact and clears her throat.

"I appreciate your apology. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulder."

"Me too." She smiles.

"I feel like I can properly move on." He says, causing her smile to drop.

"Thank you, Olivia."

And with that, Vernon turns his back and begins to walk away. Olivia opens her mouth and attempts to call for him only for her voice to get stuck in her throat.

Tears fill her eyes as Vernon turns around to face her a smile on his face as he lifts his hand to wave. Olivia does the same, only she was crying. She hoped Vernon was too far away to see her tears.

With one last wave, Vernon turns around, and this time, he doesn't look back.

~~~

Follow| Comment | Vote