Chapter 13: "𝐼 𝐷𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝐿𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑌𝑜𝑢."

OLIVIA is in shock. How couldn't she? Her friend had just confessed. A series of questions rampage her mind.

How long had Vernon liked her?

When did he start liking her?

How did he realize he liked her?

What will happen now?

Olivia starts speaking before she fully gathers her thoughts.

"I'm sorry, Vernon... but I don't like you." She says, her heart beating out of her chest. Why is she so nervous? This isn't the first time she has rejected anyone.

"You don't - no, you shouldn't like me. We're just friends. I'm sure you're confused."

Vernon shakes his head. "I'm not confused. Do I look like a guy who would act on an emotion without properly thinking about it?"

He's right. Olivia knows he's right. Yet the idea of Vernon and her being in a relationship didn't sound right. It didn't look right. The thought made her want to cringe.

"I thought about this, Olivia. I'm sure of my feelings. I feel like we would be great together. If you don't like me it's fine. I already thought of that. We don't have to do something you don't want to do. I won't force my feelings or attempt anything you're uncomfortable with."

Olivia's hands clench into fists as she feels the word vomit come through.

Vernon couldn't like her. He couldn't.

They are just friends.

"Honestly, Vernon, I never saw us as more than friends. This..." she says, using a finger to wave between them. "Being friends is enough. The image of being more than that scares me."

Olivia lets out a laugh. "I just can't imagine it. Like you and me? In what world? No." She finishes shaking her head. "No."

Like Vernon had said, he expected a rejection. But that didn't mean he wasn't hurt. Still, he wasn't going to burden Olivia with that knowledge.

"We should put some space between us. I won't come sit at your table any more, and you shouldn't call out to me."

Vernon's eyes widen at the suggestion as he shakes his head. He didn't want to lose his friendship with Olivia. After all they had gone through to get to this point, he just couldn't let her go like that.

Does him liking her irk her that much?

Olivia looks down to her wrist, and she removes the bracelet.

"I now know why you gave me this. But I don't want it."

She takes a deep breath and reaches out for her backpack.

"Goodbye, Vernon." She says, walking past him.

Vernon doesn't get the opportunity to call for her, as Olivia had practically run out of the classroom. Sighing in disappointment, he sadly picks up the piece of jewelry that she left on her desk. Placing it on his wrist, Vernon picks up his bag and starts his journey home.

Upon reaching the gate, he turns his back in the hope of seeing Olivia. But to his disappointment, she's not there. Shaking his head, he steps out of the school.

Olivia, who had been hiding behind the water fountain wall, had witnessed everything Vernon had done. The dejected look he held as he stepped out of campus was engraved in her mind. She had rejected Vernon. She didn't like him. She never had.

Yet why did that image of him looking so upset rip her own heart out?

~~~

"You did what?" Her friend yells, eyes wide.

Olivia shrugs, a sigh escaping her lips.

"Why would you reject him, Olive? You like him."

"I don't like him." She denies.

"Yes, you do. Why did you put all that effort into getting close to him then?"

"Because I wanted to be his friend?" She responds, her tone sounding as if she was stating the obvious.

Her friend shakes her head, not convinced. "Keep lying to yourself. Deep down, you know you like him. You just haven't realized it yet."

"After everything you did. From becoming his friend, cheering for him, always compliment his personality, gushing about his looks. Hell, you even changed your perfume for him! Not to mention how happy you always got when he complimented you!" Another says her voice louder than usual.

"If that's not liking him, then I don't know what is."

"Think about it, Olive. Don't lose him over stupid doubts. Think about it. Open your heart and see what it tells you."

~~~

"She seemed so disturbed that I liked her." Vernon explains as his friend pats his back.

"Maybe she was shocked?" Laurence reasons.

Vernon shakes his head. "She even laughed Laurie. You know I expected her to reject me, but I never thought she'd be that bothered by me liking her..."

~~~

Follow| Comment | Vote