10 -- Detour

This chapter is dedicated to ThePerfectChild13 whose ONC entry Love & Other Curses is a refreshing coming-of-age story set in the mid 1980s. Adam and Thomas face many challenges, including the AIDS pandemic and navigating a relationship in a hostile world. A read that will pull your heartstrings! Go and check it out.

Dublin Airport, Ireland

February 2024

~~~~

Anton pulls the Ford Focus right next to the front steps of the jet and kills the engine.

I turn around and grin at Chelsea on the backseat. "That's us."

She gapes at the plane with her mouth open. "It's huge."

"It's a Gulfstream G650ER, the most modern private plane on the market. Accommodates up to thirteen passengers and has sleeping spaces for six."

Shit, I sound like a marketing brochure.

"There are bedrooms? Wow, you travel in style." She cocks her head. "Who are you working for? I'm sure a plane like this isn't cheap."

Woman, are you still trying to get information out of me?

I can't satisfy her curiosity, nor would I want to. Nagging people are annoying as fuck. "Let's just say you won't ever have to worry about breathing the same air as hundreds of other passengers or staying in a dump. First class travel and accommodation are a given."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"No, but it eliminates half the players on the board."

For now, that should be good enough.

As I get out of the car, Anton hauls Chelsea's suitcase from the trunk with a groan. "Why do women always pack so much luggage?"

"Stop whining and get the bags on the plane. I want to leave within the hour."

"What about the rental car?"

I glance at Chelsea; she hasn't moved. "Park it next to the hangar and text Nico to come and get it once we are in the air. I don't want to see his face around here before then." Chances are that Chelsea would recognize him, and that could blow the whole thing.

"Got it."

"And Anton, be nice. She is our guest, and I don't want any snide remarks that could make her feel uncomfortable."

He rolls his eyes.

Huffing "moron" under my breath, I open the door for her. "Let's go."

She walks up the stairs in front of me and swoons over the plane as soon as she steps inside. "Oh, wow, look at all this space." She plops onto the couch with a sigh. "And this is so comfy."