33 -- Resistance

Nicosia, Cyprus

Nicosia, Cyprus

July 2024

~~~~

Jackson!

So it was him whom I spotted across the street from the coffee shop. He had been in my sight for only the blink of an eye before disappearing again, but I'd recognize those aviator shades anywhere. Too bad I didn't listen to my gut.

He pulls out a gun, pointing it straight at Bastian.

Fuck no.

I'm not gonna let Jackson shoot him right here in front of his son.

A hard shove transports Bastian out of the line of fire; he almost topples into the road and I ignore his surprised gasp.

"It's me you want."

Jackson turns his head.

"I killed Marcel, but it was self-defense. It was either him or me."

Even though the shades hide his eyes completely, his glare burns on my skin. Just as quickly as he drew the gun, it disappears. A motorcycle speeds up and Jackson gets on the back without losing a beat. Engine revving, the driver takes off. A helmet with a tinted window hides their face, but from their frame and slender fingers, my money is on the woman who abducted me.

Phew, that was close.

"Are you fucking insane?" Bastian's face twists with a mix of desperation and anger. "You just signed your death warrant."

"I think he believed me. Otherwise, why didn't he shoot me?"

"Because Vitaly was with us. Jackson is known never to leave an eyewitness, but he would equally never harm a child. Sooner or later, he'll catch up with you and trust me, he won't hesitate a second time."

Crap. "What should I do now?"

"I'll put the word out that it was me who shot Marcel, which will hopefully get you off his radar." Sirens blare in the distance and Bastian glances over his shoulder. "For now, we need to get out of here. The SUV guy or the school probably called the cops and they are on their way."

Bastian grabs Vitaly's arms and pulls the reluctant boy forward. We move quickly up the block and dart across the next street to disappear in a park. The trees offer shade, but the air is hot and stale. I struggle to breathe and sweat pours from every pore by the truckload.

Silent tears run down Vitaly's face. "Why can't I go home?"

"Because you can't." Bastian's voice hitches; he's close to losing his cool. "You're never going back, so stop nagging."

"But why?" Vitaly's question is no louder than a whisper and Bastian ignores him.

I squeeze his arm. "Once we are safe, your dad will explain everything."

Vitaly sobs. "He isn't even my dad."

Bastian closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. Wrapping Vitaly into his arms, he allows him to cry on his shoulder. "I know I haven't been around much, but that wasn't my choice. I wanted to spend way more time with you, but Icarus wouldn't allow it. I love you and want us to be together. You want that, too, right?"

Vitaly nods, his whole body shaking with sobs.

Bastian rubs his back. "And if I take you home now, I'll never be able to see you again. Do you understand?"

Vitaly gives him another nod.

"So do you want us to be together?"

"Yes, Babá."

"Then I need you to pull yourself together." The hurt in Bastian's voice has me wince; he's just as lost in this new father role as his son. "And once things settle down, I promise that you and I will sit down and talk. Man to man. I'll tell you everything you want to know, about your mom and Konstantin, and about grandpa and my reasons why I don't want you to be with him anymore. I'll answer any question you have. Deal?"

"Okay." Vitaly dries his face on his shirt. He offers me a small smile. Quizzical eyes take me in for the very first time.

Bastian catches on. "This is my friend, Chelsea."

"Hi, Vitaly."

He acknowledges me with a small nod. "Is she my new mom?"

His father chuckles. "No, not yet anyways." He cranes his neck as sirens blast by our location mere feet away. "We need to move and then I have to find us some transportation."

Vitaly points at the other end of the park. "I know there's a taxi stand at the entrance. Anton took me there the other day when the limo had a flat tire."

Bastian raises a brow. "Icarus assigned Anton to be your bodyguard."

"He was until grandpa had to go on his trip."

At least luck was on our side this once. Even with my wig, Anton would've likely recognized me and would've never allowed me to get close enough to knock him out with the syringe.

Bastian squeezes my arm. Are you okay, his eyes ask.

I nod.

"Aright." He straightens, resuming full control. "Let's find a cab and get the hell out of Nicosia."

~~~~

Ninety minutes later, we are approaching the port gate of Limassol. I turn around in the passenger seat; Bastian is staring out the window and Vitaly has fallen asleep. During the drive, a few hushed words were exchanged, mostly in Greek, and Vitaly's face was twisted with despair. If I had to bet, he was having second thoughts again and asked to go home. This must be all so confusing for him. Bastian will have his hands full to convince him that he's only doing this for his son's own good without giving too much away about the Disciples' atrocious practices.

The burner phone buzzes in my pocket and I close my eyes. Conor would only contact me in a worst-case scenario. With I sigh, I pull the device out and check the message.

They're on to you. Whatever you do, don't go back to the ship.

Bastian has been watching me and I hand him the phone. Leaning back in my seat, I rest my head against the cool window.

How the hell are we going to get out of Cyprus?

Bastian leans closer to the driver. 'Pull in right over there. We prefer to walk the rest of the way."

The cabbie slows down and Bastian wakes Vitaly. The boy rubs his eyes, disoriented. On Bastian's motion, he gets out of the car without a complaint, and we are soon left standing on the sidewalk in the pressing afternoon heat. The taxi and its pleasant air conditioning drives away.

Looking around, I wrinkle my nose. "What now?"

"We need to check out what's going on at the port."

Getting to the cruise terminal is quite the hike and I'm drenched by the time we duck behind a cargo container to inspect the comings and goings of passengers.

"Shit, they are checking passports," Bastian hisses.

"Then what are we gonna do?" As far as I know, he hasn't gotten his son's passport yet, but even if we had all the proper documentation, I doubt they'd just let us walk onboard.

"Our exit route is blown and we'll need to find another way off the island."

WP total word count: 37,285

We are almost at the end and things aren't looking good for Chelsea and Bastian. Any guesses how they will get out of Cyprus? Two more chapters to go which will be posted this week, so keep your eyes on those updates. In the meantime, I would be thrilled if you'd consider a vote and/or drop me a comment. Thanks for reading!