35 -- It's Something Worth Protecting At Any Price

Limassol, Cyprus

Limassol, Cyprus

July 2024

~~~~

His strong body odor proceeds Nico climbing onboard of Solara's yacht. His hard eyes take me in and manage to chill me to the bone. Deadly silence stands between us as he looks around.

He turns to the officer. "Did you check below?"

"No, sir. Mrs. Doukas asked me not to. She's the wife of a government official."

"Huh, Mrs. Doukas." Nico sneers at me. "Christos is a lucky man indeed."

My best line of defense is to stay quiet.

"Would you like me to check the rest of the yacht, sir?" The officer's voice is barely above a whisper. I might have intimidated him, but he's scared shitless of Nico.

"No, I'll do it." Nico pulls his gun. With one more glance at me, he takes the steps to the quarters below. The area where Bastian and Vitaly are hiding. Now we'll find out how deep Nico's loyalty runs.

I focus on my breathing to keep from screaming. Seconds trickle down in slow motion; they are almost at a standstill. My heart races in my chest and moisture forms on my cupid's bow.

Fuck, what is taking so long?

I lick my lips to fight the dryness in my mouth.

No shots ring out.

No shouts.

No battle of words.

The only sounds are the waves sloshing against the sides of the swaying yacht.

Nico's stench whiffs through the opening to announce his return. I've never been so happy to smell a man's sweat. He holsters his gun and juts his chin at the police vessel. "No one's down there, so let's go."

The coast guard tips his hat again. "Have a good evening, ma'am."

He and Nico cross over to the other ship. As the police boat speeds away, Nico remains standing in the middle of the deck. He locks my gaze; his eyes burn with the knowledge of the inevitable.

As long as Icarus is alive, neither Bastian nor I could ever be free.