Chapter Five

Lux sits on the sofa with his legs tucked underneath him. He's full, warm, and content. "So you expect me to believe that this guy flies across the world to rescue his daughter from sex trafficking...by himself?"

Niko nods, "Yup."

They fall into a comfortable silence as they watch a totally unrealistic high-speed chase. Lux is fully aware that he's crossing his own boundary and for the time being, he's fine with that. He's always enjoyed Niko's company. Things have been consistently easy between them since they were children. Admittedly, he did call Niko because he was having a rough night, but he'd be remiss if he said all he needed in the moment was sex.

Lux really craves companionship. When he first started dating Adam, they still did things as a couple with their friends. It wasn't soon before long that Adam began to tell him he "didn't think it was a good idea" if Lux went out without him. He'd mention how he needs to protect Lux. Adam would say that he never noticed how other men stared at him. Lux listened, declining offers to socialize without Adam. Soon, Adam would tell Lux that he was also unable to go out with him. His go to excuse was "this party isn't going to interest you" and just a plain, "You need to stay home". Which, being an introvert, he really wouldn't have minded having to stay home, however, Adam never stayed with him. Even when he was home, he'd leave Lux alone, oftentimes ignoring him all together or speaking to him through his driver and assistant, Derek. Those were the hardest moments because he wasn't allowed to respond. If he did, the consequences usually resulted in him being hurt.

Niko bumps his shoulder, pulling him back to the present to point out, "You're missing the best part!" He gestures at the television.

Lux focuses on the screen. The main character is narrowly dodging bullets as he rushes forward to take out bad guys. Lux turns his entire body to face his friend. "Okay, Niko. How is this realistic at all?"

Niko scoffs, "How are your rom-coms realistic? The Notebook? No cisgendered, heterosexual male is going to write a woman that left him a letter a day for a year."

Lux glares at Niko. "And this guy single-handedly taking down a trafficking ring by himself is?!"

"Shh," Niko shushes him.

"Why do you like this?" Lux crinkles his nose in disgust.

Niko pauses the movie and turns to face him. "First of all, wow. Don't disrespect Liam Neeson. Second of all, how do you not?!"

Lux rolls his eyes and reaches for the remote. "I've had about enough. I can't take it anymore." He turns off the movie and unfolds his legs from underneath him to stand. "Besides, you need to shower. You smell rank."

Niko sniffs himself and grimaces. "You're right. You can leave the dishes. I'll have Bellamy do them when he gets in." Niko rises from the couch and crosses his arms over his body, fingers gripping the hem of his shirt to lift it completely off. He slings it over his shoulder and smirks. "Be back in a flash."

Lux stares after Niko for a while, gaze lingering on his back before slowly traveling down long, muscular legs. He huffs an appreciative sigh, immediately blushing as he realizes he's a little too comfortable with Niko. Regret starts to settle in and that familiar feeling of being caged creeps in. He's not unsafe, but he feels like he is.

He feels exposed. Lux is fully clothed, but it's what he has on that makes him feel too vulnerable. His hair is tied up in a sloppy bun, he has his glasses on due to the late hour, and he's wearing an oversized royal blue sweatshirt and black sweats. He's nowhere near as well put together as he usually is. It doesn't dawn on him until now that no one has seen him like this. Not even Niko. At least not since they were children.