Chapter Seven

Niko has a very strict policy regarding the use of phones during rush hours. His staff are well aware of this and happily oblige due to his typically easy going nature. So, color him confused when Bellamy takes out his phone twice in the span of a few minutes.

Niko scoffs, "Seriously, Bell?" He pauses in the kitchen, staring at his little brother.

"Sorry, I know, but uh, Izzy knows not to call when I'm working and he's called twice already. What if something is wrong?" He looks down at his ringing phone and back up at Niko, worry lines thinly etched in the small space between his brows.

"Make it quick," Niko snaps. He maneuvers around Bellamy, slipping past his bustling staff to deliver several entrees to his dinner guests. He chats with a few of the regulars, asking about their children, grandchildren, and updates about their day to day lives. A few of them inquire about his life, stating they have the "perfect person" for him. He's polite, laughing lightly and declining the offer gently.

Niko already has the perfect person.

Things between him and Lux have been going well. Which means that he doesn't get flicked in the forehead as often when he hugs, kisses, or holds his best friend's hand. Niko's reiterated that he's more than fine with moving at a pace that Lux feels most comfortable with, and honestly, he can see the benefit in taking things at an easier, unrushed pace.

Despite them seemingly taking things slow, Lux still wants to uphold the terms of their prior arrangement and to be quite honest, he could have asked Niko to walk across burning coals for him on a daily basis and he would have, if it meant that he'd be able to have more of those quiet moments where a quick kiss is pressed to the corner of his mouth or slender fingers enclose around his own first. He'd do anything to see Lux happy and he's beyond ecstatic and completely grateful that he's one of the reasons why Lux is happier these days.

Niko returns to the kitchen just as Bellamy is exiting. He notices the teen's pallor is bordering on a sickly green as they make eye contact. Niko's heart drops into his stomach and the dirty dishes in his hands clink together gently. "What?" Niko continues into the kitchen, Bellamy on his heels.

"You have to promise me you won't do something rash first," Bellamy pleads. He takes the dishes from Niko and sets them on the stainless steel countertop.

"This isn't helping me not want to do something 'rash'. What's wrong? You said Izzy called you twice..." he trails off. There's a small part of him that knows.

"It's Adam. He—"

Niko doesn't wait for Bellamy to finish. He's eerily calm as he unties his apron, dropping it where he stands, before heading back to his office to grab his helmet and keys. He returns to the kitchen and drops the keys to the restaurant on the counter in front of his brother.

"Lock the doors at closing. Even if we have a few customers here. Tell Rhys chances are I won't be coming to work tomorrow and I need him to open even though he's closing tonight."

Bellamy reaches out to grab his bicep. "Wait! You can't—"

Niko wrenches his arm free, his words coming out harshly as he challenges, "Who's going to stop me?"

"No one!" Desperation and fear have Bellamy's voice increasing in volume. "You can't go without me. I-I know he's your best friend, but he's been in my life just as long."

"Fine. Grab the extra helmet."

Niko's anger is akin to an impending storm. His rage is reminiscent of the dark clouds on the horizon, his pseudo sense of calm unnerving those around him as they catch glimpses of a tightening jaw muscle and the way he's clenching and unclenching his fists. He's never been one that's easily prone to anger, wanting to settle issues before they escalate, but when he's pushed, he becomes almost unrecognizable.