Heroes Get Healthcare

And it's a good thing, too, considering how often heroes are slammed through brick walls, thrown across the city, injected with mutagenic pathogens, etcetera

And it's a good thing, too, considering how often heroes are slammed through brick walls, thrown across the city, injected with mutagenic pathogens, etcetera. Having a healthcare plan in place to make sure they're not going into medical debt routinely is a must-have.

As a sidekick, Jay also gets these benefits, though not as many as the more popular heroes like Pixamena or Scoops. However, ever since his "transplant," the Network has been increasingly interested in his health, especially now that he's a "Dawnbreaker." Which is why poor Jay is currently strapped to a treadmill, feeling like he's going to die.

"What exactly is the point of this?" He pants, a trickle of sweat running down his face.

"Please keep pace the best you can, Quickwit. We're measuring your lactic acid levels," says Zenith, "I was optimistic that your new powers would give you an edge against Stygian, but your last battle with him was rather pathetic."

"I wouldn't say pathetic..."

Scoops, on one of the other treadmills, gives a loud "Whoop! Hang in there, Witty! We're all in this together now!"

Jay glares at Scoops, teeth gritted. "You all are here for training. I'm here to be poked and prodded like a lab rat."

"Better they poke and prod you now, than you randomly find out this is how Stygian reproduces; through chest-bursting transplants," Pixamena huffs from the weight-rack.

"Ugh! Don't even joke," Delta scowls from her yoga mat.

"I really doubt that's why he did it," says Jay.

"Why did he do it? I mean, wouldn't a villain want a hero to, um, die?" Says Delta.

"Maybe he wants to rub it in. Like, ha, hero! You only live because of me now!" Says Scoops.

"I think he's just obsessed with torturing Quickwit," Pixamena says, setting down the pink weights with a sigh.

Jay groans, pushing the emergency stop on the treadmill. The belt comes to a standstill as he grips the support rails. His entire body feels sore—he's been running for what seems like eternity.

"Do we have anything to drink?"

Pixamena trots over, handing Jay something pink and glittery in a bejeweled bottle. Jay swallows it down, not even wincing at the cloying sweetness of the drink. In fact, the strawberry refresher is absolutely delicious at the moment.

"Quickwit, your reflexes and endurance have been enhanced somewhat, but not by any superhuman metrics. Are you trying to tap into your powers at all?" Zenith scolds.

"I'm doing the best I can."

"Well, if you want to keep up with Alphaman, you're going to need to try harder. Go use the weights next."

Jay glares, but flinches when a warm hand rests on his shoulder. Delta smiles sheepishly. "Don't listen to him, Witty. Alphaman isn't so bad, he won't judge you."